Grand Palace Attempt 2


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
November 1st 2005
Published: February 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Finally, having walked around the perimeter to find the entrance, past the entrance criteria (stricter dress codes than a Friday night out in Solihull) and paying the vast sum of 250B each (about $8), we got into the Grand Palace. First the Coin Museum, much more interesting than it sounds due to the inclusion of lots of very sparkly royal jewellery and the Emerald Buddha's alternative golden ensembles for Winter and Dry seasons.
Then we entered the actual palace and the Emerald Buddha's Wat. It was absolutely beautiful and demanded heaps of photos to be taken. Buddha was in his Rainy season, off the shoulder, number-but obviously no shots can be taken inside the Wat-so I bought the postcard (he sits on a huge golden pedestal and is actually only about 3 feet tall, and is made of Jasper or Jade!).
Outside in the Palace grounds there were guardians, deities, mosiacs, a mini version of Angkor Wat, murals-all in vivid and/or metallic colours-quite beautiful.
When we were sure we had looked in every nook available and shared a coconut in the cafe, we headed towards home. On our return, a Buddhist teacher, dressed in white robes with a coin in one ear (not important to the tale but adds to your imagining pleasure) told us that there would be a Buddhist celebration on Royal grounds that evening with fireworks and music. Well, a free display was not to be missed. So later that day, we ambled over to the grounds. There was certainly something going on, but I doubt it was Buddhist! There was a stage with singers and backing dancers (who, I have to point out, had fabulous costumes but were exceptionally uncoordinated. Maybe they expected a Buddhist affair as well?), and basically a fair just like those we have at home - wall of death, hook-a-duck, etc, and not a single firework! Now what was teacher up to?

Drink of the Day: White Shark (All the energy of a Shark in a bottle)


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0797s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb