Bangkok madness!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
September 5th 2009
Published: September 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi there troopers!

Shucks - I don't know quite where to start - it's only been 2 days since we left and yet I already have so many stories - best strap on the reading goggles...mind you I'm racing against the lock here -can't be spending all my baht updating you guys - just pulling your socks!

So the big finally arrived on Wednesday - had me a fat cry and headed off to catch our Boeing. Was a proper stress-head in the morn - was up at 4am trying to check Slime and I in only to find out that there were only 4 seats left on the plane! Managed to bag us 2 seats behind one another in the middle of the middle row - AWESOME!! Not off to a cracking start - then I had to find us some travel insurance! Nothing like leaving that kind of stuff till the last second - it's a long story which i won't bore you with! Anyhoo - come 5pm we strapped on our backpacks and headed for Heathrow. This is when eM's luck finally takes a top-notch turn! As many of you know Slime and I have done quite a bit of travelling in our days and flapped on many a Boeing but yet NEVER have we been lucky enough to be upgraded...until now!! Hell yes i say - 2 seats - window and aisle - ELITE CLASS!! (Elite means business when flying EVA Air - yes, I hadn't heard of EVA either but right now they are by far my favourite!!) It was excellent fun - not quite the flatbed that you 1st class flappers get but giant size seats and a wee foot rest of sorts - Gary was stoked! (my favourite manky anteater critter for those of you who don't know! - shucks, it's actually a little tricky scribbling these things as it goes to so many of you - famiy folk, work gang, favourite old friends - no bother!)

So, let me jump ahead now - we landed safe and sound in crazy Bangkok just before 3pm... and when i say crazy Bangkok I mean this place is batsh*t CRAZY!! Wow - quite the culture shock! We hopped on a bus from the airport which dropped us at the train station, which according to my map, was close to our hotel...YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT! Anyhoo - longest bus ride EVER mainly due to the longest red traffic light in the whole world! Honestly - you've never seen anything quite like it - that bad boy stayed red for over 10 minutes!! But the bonus was we got to do some serious people watching while staring out the window - one of the fun things we spied was a chap on his scoot - but he wasn't alone - he had his pet poodle there right up there with him!! Classic - 5pm Bangkok traffic and there's man and poodle just going for it! If only my trusty photographer had got a snap! Oh well. Anyhoo - we finally made it to the train station and continued on foot to our hotel. Most backpackers make a bee line for Koh San Road... but not eM and Slime! I later read a wee line in the good old Lonely Planet - went something like "If you have a week in Bangkok: Now that you're over the madness of central Bangkok and all its markets then you're ready for Chinatown"... 3 guesses where we were staying!! Chinatown is nuts! We had a fairly hairy time finding our guesthouse - ran down some top notch dark alleys past 3-legged dogs etc (won't go into detail as like i said - this blog goes to my mom!! - can't be freaking her out from far away!) All is well though - we found it at last - and it has loads of character! We have our own bathroom which consists of a shower and toilet...and by that i mean toilet in shower!! There is no curtain.door/nothing!! You literally shower next to the cr*pper! Hilarious! Shower is nice and cold which is another perk cause gosh darn this place is HOT! There is a lovely little restaurant on the rooftop with lovely views over the river and fine Thai beers - Slime needs nothing more... except the poor Thai granny keeps getting his breakfast order wrong - nothing like making Slime extra grumpy in the morn!!

Right - i have to wrap this up! Quickly - yesterday we walked for miles - went to the Grand Palace, Temple of the Emerald Buddha and Wat Poh - where the giant reclining beast lives (by beast i mean Buddha!) Then we headed off to Koh San to check out the crazy vibe! Had a beer at this one little spot - waiter was one fine girly boy - hilarious though! These two betties come in for a quick feed (one was rather on the tubby side) - old lady boy takes one look and mutters 'no man, no cry' ... tubby wasn't all that stoked!! He also came up with some far more obscene (spelling?!) comments which i dare not scribble into this blog! As usual we missed our trusty river boat home so had to cab it back to Chinatown... tallied 55B - i.e. 1 poondie - can't even catch a bus for that back in good old London town! We still got lost again though trying to find our way-off-the-beaten-track hotel but finally made it! Folk are always keen to help which makes things easier - but also super annoying when you have to butt off the tuk-tuk weasels every 2 seconds! Wow - some fokl can drive you nuts - sneaky mutts always trying to rip you off! Oh well - it's hot, sticky and smelly (good and BAD!) - food is great, folk are friendly so - so far so good... to be honest though, I am super keen to head for the jungle!! Tomorrow we head for Chang Mai! Bring it!

Miss all you badgers LOADS but I'm hungry and it's breakfast time...oooh will grandma speedy get Slime's eggs right today?! I'll be sure to report back! Hope everyone is A OK - happy pants firmly strapped and all that jazz... I'll touch base again soon😊

Lots and lots of love
eM (and Slime) xx

p.s. Never buy new shoes before travelling - i wish i had NO heels!

Advertisement



5th September 2009

Greetings from the 4ways pad
WOW! SO thrilled to hear from the merry travellers! Everything must be so different and amazing.....cant wait to hear the stories that will come out of the jungle!! Thinking of you so much. Thrilled that you are able to have this time to travel and see amazing places....its bound to be quite an adventure! Huge hugs and lots n lots of love....momsli xxx PS Hope you're impressed with the skills!!
10th September 2009

Sound like fun! Thanks for the update. Like the idea of a crapper in the shower, might have to incorporate that here!Catch a snake for me in the jungle and keep those bags locked!
11th September 2009

Woot!!!
Sounds like you're having a fab time. I want some Thai food!

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb