Returning to the land of Smiles


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
September 2nd 2009
Published: September 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

The last time we landed in Bangkok airport was December 2008, the first day of our travels so it was... very strange doing the journey again eight months later. The visa que had not changed and we were slightly worried about our bags doing a million and one turns on the luggage belt as we trawled through immigration. Another sign of our budget improvements we have made during our travels was onward transport to Khoa San road. Last time we hiked a taxi and payed 400 bhat (8 quid) this time we found a free shuttle bus to the local transport hub and endured the rickety 66p bus to our destination.

It does feel slightly criminal being back in Thailand, especially around the Khoa San Road area - being our umpteenth visit. There is something about the area we love, true many people try to avoid it.. after all its very tacky but sadly we love it!

Our few nights were spent strolling around the usual sights, MBK shopping centre (home of the rip of dvd's, games, i pod's and just about any other electrical item you can think of), meandered around street food stalls sampling the wonderful Thai food, witnessed old fat, bold European men summon underage Thai prostitutes, dodged the frog selling tribal women who harass you to the point of tears on KSR (other travellers will know who we are talking about!!!) and generally took in all things great about Thailand.

We booked our overnight sleeper train tickets to Chang Mai, this time opting for air con bottom bunk which we have been told is ultimate comfort compared to the sweat shop fan upper we booked last time

Having been in Thailand a number of times we have never ventured north and are looking forward to seeing more of the country!

Bye for now

Lee and Michelle




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



21st September 2009

Re:Returning to the land of Smiles
Hi There !! The article is very nice. The pictures are good and by seeing these pictures we have a feel that we are in Bangkok.

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb