Kanachaburi


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
June 16th 2009
Published: June 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday I took a two day trip to Kanachaburi. Setting off early, our group made up of one swiss, two brits, four dutch and two italians. First stop was Kanachaburi WW2 Memorial Graves that listed all the foreign service men that died in Siam in WW2. From there it was a short trip to Kanachaburi WW2 museum that detailed the Japanese invasion and the use of thousands of prisoners of war to build the Death Railway over the River Kwai bridge. After we took a ride on the Death Railway itself which runs between the River Kwai and the cliffs themselves that still hide the caves where the prisoners of war were kept.

In the afternoon, we went to the Tiger temple where monks are carrying out a conservation project that involves breeding tigers. They are tame enough to touch and we were even allowed to take the cubs for walks on leads. In the evening we slept on a floating raft on the River Kwai and dinner was served in traditional Thai style.

Next morning it was again up early to take the elephants for their early morning swim before they then carried us on our jungle trek. They were so friendly and full of personality, each one playing games and trying to shake us into the water. It all got very wet! We then put on life jackets and floated downstream for about half an hour to the floating raft where we had stayed the evening before. In the afternoon it was back to Bangkok.

It will probably be my last evening in BKK as tomorrow I go north to Chang Mai for five nights. Thailand is not considered malarial besides from the Burma and Cambodia borders so wont need any meds. Not sure about internet access again as staying with local tribes. But will be in touch soon!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb