Wednesday May 13 & Thursday May 14, 2009


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
May 14th 2009
Published: May 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday May 13, 2009

Had breakfast at the hotel (included), check out of hotel and took the skytrain to the canal and hoped on a river ferry to get to the Banglampu area in Bangkok. Once there we wondered around the steets with all our backpacks looking for the hotel we saw on line. After getting bad directions from the tourist info desk, we decided to cancel our reservations, or rather they were cancelled for us due to lack of communication (we have no cell service and limited email access), we said the heck with it and Camden picked out a nice hotel (strangely named the "Dang Derm Hotel)" in the heart of the hip area that is under renovation. Very nice traditionally Thai rooms for 1100 Baht (US$32)/ night. Not bad at all!!! Plus we were on Th Khao San Rd with tons of street vendors and happening places.

Thursday May 14, 2009

Got virus on flash drive with my 1st half of Bangkok pics=(
Took river taxi to Tha Ratchawond "China town" and walked down Sampeng Lane. Just when you thought the streets and stalls couldn't get any more crowded, they did!!!! It was exhausting squeezing through the motor bikes, people and vendors, (someone even drove a dag gon car through this place. I think that should be illegal, but whatever!) these narrow alleyways. After shipping our box of trinkets from Japan back home (at an outrageous price through UPS), I was more than ready for a beer before screaming "Get me the HELL out of Bangkok!". Note: After beer, much better....I believe you have to be under the influence a little to truly enjoy Bangkok, otherwise all the choas will send a normal person screaming the other direction=)

After beer, got my picture taken with Mr. Thailand, picture a scrawny guy on a deck out bike cart with loud music, big sunglasses and outrageous outfit that no straight guy would be caught dead in, pedalling down Bourbon Street. In fact, this was the Bourbon Street of Thailand. We went to a street vendor to get some food only to have her "run away from us" in the other direction toward an alleyway with her beckoning us to follow. Two other tourists and ourselves were a little stumped until we saw other vendors scrambling to squeeze onto the sidewalk because the cops showed up. Apparently they really aren't allowed to walk down the streets after all=) It was an outrageous site.

It started raining soon after and we ducked into a small Indian restaurant and had dinner while watching Indian Pop Music Videos, they are hilarious by the way. I think that is it for now=)


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb