Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
April 7th 2009
Published: April 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our fist full day in Bangkok started off well, we had arranged to meet Chesty's friends from school outside a bar on the Kho San road and quickly got a very reasonable quote for a tuk tuk to take us to see some sites. 5 baht each and we were off. Myself and Chesty in one, Guy and Andy in another. We weaved in and out of traffic at some speed, trying to take in the surroundings. Our tuk tuk driver 'Joe' took us to a massive Buddha which i think was called the Emerald Buddha. It was huge and gold which pretty much sums up any Wot or monument within Thailand! After a couple of snaps we were taken to the next temple, the Lucky Buddha. a much smaller shrine with surprise surprise a Buddha sitting in the middle. After this Joe asked if we would go to his sponsors shop. We agreed and were taken to a suit shop. In 40 degree heat who wants to be measured for a suit?! Certainly not me! The tuk tuk drivers receive commission for taken tourists to shops and also get a drink and food when they are there. We thought for 5 baht that we could cope with doing this once. Joe was a great guy, very friendly and drove like a maniac, cutting lines and hitting gaps left, right and centre. Next stop we hit a tourist information centre and ended up booking our trip up to Chang Mai. Joe told us that the Grand Palace where the king used to live but now only uses for state occasions was shut for an hour or so for prayer so he took us back to Kho San where we got some lunch and put some trousers on so we could go into the Grand Palace. Joe picked all four of us up and dropped us off at the Grand Palace, at this point we payed him about 10p each for his services that morning. The Grand Palace was set in lovely walled gardens and had lots of temples, and you guessed it more Bhuddas! Everything was shiny and gold, and although very pretty and impressive the four of us were beginning to suffer in the heat and looked around quickly before heading back to our hostels to chill out. We decided to go to watch some Muay Thai Boxing that evening and the four of us got a tuyk tuk together. Four well built lads in a tuk tuk is cramped to say the least and the journey in rush hour traffic was limited. When we arrived the price was 1500 baht for the evening rather than the 500 we had thought. We were not going to pay this so headed back to the Kho San with our tuk tuk driver 'Joe Joe'. He was very keen to take us to see a ping pong show and get a 'massage' and his impressions were not a good selling point, so we declined and went to find somewhere to eat. There were loads of street vendors selling all kinds of food, mostly looking pretty ropey. Ended up picking up some sort of pork and shrimp thing with rice. Washed down with several Chang beers it was nice. This is where the night started to escalate. Several more large Changs and some 'buckets' consisting pf plenty of Thai whiskey and coke went down a treat. Chesty was challenged by an 8 year old girl to a thumb war, he lost and she wanted money, they went to shake hands only for the girl to pull away and laugh in his face, priceless moment! We met a cool group of people and went clubbing with them. Sunday was very limited, felt horrendous and had a 10 hour coach ride to look forward to. Hangover plus the smell and heat of the Kho San road produced some interesting results, nothing that a fruit shake couldn't sort out!

Advertisement



12th April 2009

Hey, Happy Easter There's so much more chocolate for me to eat cos you're not here. The weather is dire lots of rain not missing much. Seeing mum tomorrow for lunch. Hope the emergency shut down isn't because of you! Although wouldn't be surprised. P.S. Ross says have you not heard of paragraphs?

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0265s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb