Chaing Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
April 15th 2009
Published: April 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Firstly I would like to make a public apology for my spelling and grammar. I blame this on the influence of the heat combined with Chang beer.

Right, Bangkok to Chaing Mai. All transport was very busy as it was approaching Thai New Year so we travelled in style, air con, reclining seat. Perfect however an 11 hour coach journey when you can't sleep is not ideal. We arrived at 5 am in Chaing Mai and were picked up by our guest house who we had booked with whilst still in Bangkok. On arrival we went to our room and slept until mid day. We had a couple of days to take in the city which is beautiful and very chilled out compared to Bangkok. We went for a stroll around and had a customary fruit shake. In the centre of the walled city we bumped into Gareth and Hannah who we were at uni with. After a quick Chang in the 'Queen Vic' we headed to Dai Suthep, a temple on top of the hill overlooking the city. Apparently it is the thing to see in Chaing Mai. A lovely drive up the mountain road in the back of a pick up and then the climb up the few hundred steps to the temple. Very nice, lots of buddhas and gold stuff and a lovely view over Chaing Mai.

That evening we went to meet Gareth and Hannah at their guest house after we'd had some food. We decided to go and watch an evening of Muay Thai boxing with a girl we met earlier. Suz and myself placed a few bets between us and I seemed to come out on top for a change. It was great fun watching tiny thai men beat each other. They were crazy, kicking, punching, elbows, knees flying everywhere. We even saw two small kids fight, probably about 7-9 years old. I couldn't help but laugh! They also had four way blindfolded fight which was hilarious.

We chilled out the next day, went tot he official tourist office to get the truth out of someone and so trekked across Chaing Mai which is split into the old city within the walls and a moat and the newer bits outside. We enquired about buses to Chaing khong on the border to Laos and went tot he bus staion to book our tickets. We visited the massive night market which was full of anything and everything.

Day 3 in Chaing Mi and we are picked up by our trek leader 'Kenny' (funniest thai man ever!) We drive out into the jungle and day 1 of our trek consists of visiting a few waterfalls and a little bit of walking in between. Our group of 10 would walk a bit then cool off in the beautiful waterfalls. We eventaully arrived at the village for the night, where we stayed in traditional bamboo huts and had a laugh round the campfire. The next morning the group split in two. We were continuing on for 2 more days whilst the other group were heading back after their days activities. The five of us, Me, Chesty, Sergio, Joanna and some German guy along witht the main man Kenny trekked for the day, walking for up to an hour or so before reaching our next waterfall and going for a well deserved dip to wash the bead off us. this day was great fun and we all got on really well, singing some classics along the way, with Kenny lead singer and Thailands future star. The village we stayed at on the second night was beautiful, very lush and green low down in the mountains near to the river. The final days involved very little walking which was ideal, instead we went canoeing along the river which was pretty hard as there was very little water so we kept running aground. The german guy I was with was not too impressed, oh well! German efficiency just wasn't the call for the day. After lunch we went bamboo rafting which was much more fun, myself and Chesty took great pride in tipping the raft every time our thai man went to the side of the raft and getting him very wet. After this we went elephant riding, this was amazing, myself, Chesty and Sergio unleashed on an elephant we had named Jerome. Jerome excelled himself and loved tucking into the bananas we bought him. Our return to Chaing Mai saw Sanghkran start early in the countryside and local kids took great pride in soaking us. That night we went out and had a few celebratory drinks. The next day was a wash out, the evening consisted of Muay Thai boxing with Suz and Joanna. Bring on Sanghkran (Tahi New Year!)

Advertisement



15th April 2009

German efficiency is never called for!
I can't believe how many experiences you have had already! I'm very jealous of your elephant riding especially. Jerome seems a very fitting name for an elephant - no nonsense, grounded! Did you see anything creepy in the water round there? Do they have piranhas and crocs and stuff? Ooh, so jealous of your travels...I've got to get me some of those! xx

Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0212s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb