Boys in Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
March 21st 2009
Published: March 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Making a messMaking a messMaking a mess

Within minutes of being in our room, Rahim has managed to spray shaving cream all over himself and all over the room.
Day 22
I spent a lovely morning strolling through Chiang Mai, stopping for some coffee and to just watch the city pass by. I also arranged for a tuk-tuk to the airport on my own. It was then time for lunch and before I knew it, I was off to the airport to head back to Bangkok and meet up with Rahim.
It was great to see a familiar face come bounding towards me amongst the sea of strangers at the airport. Rahim was in good spirits, which was great considering his luggage was lost and he was just on a 12-hour flight. So we climbed in a cab and headed to our hostel, Lub*d in the Silom Rd area. We opted for a nicer end hostel that was comparatively priced to low-end hotels. We also got our own private room with bathroom. Or rather, the toilet was a closet with frosted glass doors and a frosted window into the shower. We would have to make sure to time our trips to the shower and toilet appropriately.
Thanks to Rahim's lost luggage, we got to go shopping at the immense Siam Centre, which was in the middle of Bangkok International Fashion
BathroomBathroomBathroom

The toilet, literally in a closet and you can see the shower room just behind it.
Week. Because of his insurance, Rahim had up to $500 of 'free' money to spend on 'essential' clothes. He got some nice items that he wouldn't be able to find at a local market and he got valid receipts for these.
With new underwear and socks in hand, we tracked back to the hostel and cleaned up before going out for dinner and drinks. We opted for a bar called "Telephone" and sat on the patio out front that stared directly across at the people sitting at the bar opposite us, "The Balcony." it created an odd environment of people sitting and staring at each other. It was terrific to have Rahim with me and have a taste of home, even though my food was very much Thai. Still no proper rye (Canadian whiskey) can be found at any bar. I suppose April 1 will consist of pizza and a very tasty rye & coke.
Rahim is a trooper and we stayed out till 12:30am. This was very late for me but I know Rahim will ultimately be a good influence on this trip. He has already implemented a "rule" in which we each must strike up a conversation with
Bangkok streetBangkok streetBangkok street

Out at night at some local bars in Silom Rd area
stranger every day. This rule begins tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Rahim in the marketRahim in the market
Rahim in the market

With his cute little shopping basket


Tot: 0.23s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb