Day 1 - Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
February 5th 2009
Published: February 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

P2041061P2041061P2041061

Tunnel in the Tokyo airport!
So we had a crazy day of travel on the 4th! Over 20 hours of flight and a couple of hours lay over. The jet lag is still kicking our butts.

But our first day in Bangkok was lots of fun. We woke up in the morning and decided to go to see the Grand Palace and two of the more famous temples. However we didn't know that they were closed for a Buddhist holiday. So a friendly local man (many of the Thai people are so nice!) got us in a tuk tuk (three wheeled motorbike/taxi things) and we went to see a couple of the smaller temples that were open to tourists still. We went to the Marble temple, where for three dollars this little thai tour guide took us around and showed us TONS of buddha's! I'll upload some pictures so you can see. Next it was off to the TAT (Travel Association of THailand) where we booked a night bus for the 7th to get us to Koh Phangnang for the full moon party.

Then we went to see a gigantic buddha, it was at least 8 stories high!!!

But our trips to the
P2041064P2041064P2041064

Khaosan Road from our hotel room window.
temples were not without trouble. We were inexperienced to taking tuk-tuks... They take you to suit stores and jewlery shops and in exhcange they get gas coupons. Our first tuk tuk took us to a store after every stop and once we had been to a couple he DITCHED us....

Also while walking in the park some people came up and shoved bird seed into our hands and after refusing to throw it numerous times, we gave in. When we tried to walk away they asked us for B150!!! 5$!! Thats a lot of money here, considering a cab all the way across town is 3$! But we just gave them B60 and kept on walking.

The rest of the afternoon we sat on the rooftop of our hotel (ABSOLUTELY AMAZING) and tanned and swam in the rooftop pool.

Then the jet lag got the best of us and we passed out from 6pm to 12!

We then woke up and walked around Khaosan Road, the street our hotel is on. Khaosan is the world famous backpackers street and is SUPER busy with markets, taxis, tuktuks, bars, food stands, and SO MUCH MORE!!! It is amazing
P2041068P2041068P2041068

Brad is Buddhist!
and always busy! My friend Rio met us, she had just gotten in at 2 am. We had a couple of buckets (thailand famous drinks for tourists) a mickey of booze and juice in a bucket. They are LETHAL! Needless to say we all had a little bit of a hangover the next morning!

Ben and Brad


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

P2041106P2041106
P2041106

Lots of Buddha's in the marble temple.
P2041108P2041108
P2041108

Fasting Buddha...
P2041118P2041118
P2041118

All of the temples we've seen so far have hand painted gold doors like these ones.
P2041128P2041128
P2041128

I think this old monk died and they covered him in gold leaf...
P2041130P2041130
P2041130

Releasing birds at the temple! (they flew right back into her cage after)


7th February 2009

Hello from your Mommy
Hi Boys, Hey very nice pictures! Where are the shorts! I thought it is supposed to be +30C. Try to keep your heads from gettin' stuck in the buckets too often!! Have fun and stay safe. I sent you a long email to your personal email Brad. Love you, Jeffrey, Mom and Don ...and Kitty :-)
8th February 2009

yeh!!
Fantastic! Love the writing! Good luck guys....did you get to Patpong (sp) Rd? Scary bits of sexuality - have fun... ty
9th February 2009

Great pics. Sounds like so much fun. Take care and stay safe
10th February 2009

Great stuff and a few comments
Looks wonderful ! Glad you are doig well even if you bounce a it on buses etc. Bell Mobility bill and others -want me to pay them and deal with you later ? Dad boobed with the cats first time- left the door closed to the litter box - they went on your duvet and a few toher places (not much). Dad is doing laundry cleaning andf has learned his lesson!! You and Brad take care - love Mom and dad
11th February 2009

B&B
hope all is well, looks amazing. have fun for me xoxo

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0199s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 6; ; mem: 1mb