Bonkers Bangkok Part Deux


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
November 28th 2008
Published: November 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The next day we approached Bangkok from a different angle. Having decided that what we did like about Bangkok was the funky Koh San Road and the cheap clothes, cheap food, cheap beer etc, we thought we would focus on that and forget about roaming the streets more generally. We headed down at lunchtime to have a couple of beers and scoffed down some more fabulous pad thai on the hoof. We wound up at one of the big bars sitting right on the Koh San Road and watched the hawkers selling crazy wooden frogs that sounded like cane toads (highly irritating after the first 10 times!), beaded bracelets, lighters, and later in the night roses and crazy hats. We met a few nice lads to share our beers with and did some travellers' story-telling. A few beers later and we hadn't managed to do any of the things we were supposed to do that day - booking our flight out of Bankgok and our next night's accommodation being the more pressing of them! So we parted ways promising to meet up later and went to find the internet. Unfortunately it soon transpired that flights need to be booked at least 24 hours in advance and so we weren't going to be going to Phuket the next day unless we wanted to turn up at the airport and take our chances. So - back to the beer! By then one of the lads from earlier had reappeared and persuaded us into drinking buckets at another bar on the Koh San Road.

A short note about buckets. Buckets (literally sandcastle buckets full of strong cocktails) are the beverage of choice here in Thailand for travellers/revellers/layabouts. We had our first and only night on the buckets that night! We didn't realise that what we were drinking had thai whisky and thai redbull in it - both of which have amphetamines or some sort of mind-altering drugs in and neither of which are going to produce a good effect after drinking one, let alone several buckets. Before we knew it we were completely hammered, spinning round in circles, chatting to everyone and (in the first part of the night at least) having a wonderful time. By the time we managed to stagger back to our hotel (with silly hats on our heads and croaking frogs in our pockets) we were sick as dogs and I was shouting about someone spiking my drinks... needless to say we were rather grateful that we had no flight to catch the next day and in fact spending an extra night in the safety and comfort of a double bed with Sky TV to watch was just what we needed.

So the next day we set off for Bangkok Airport to catch our flight to Phuket. We were so ready to get out of the place! Fortunately we both felt better - not 100% but better enough to get out of bed! And so with the pomp and circumstance of the King's Sister's cremation taking place all around us we scuttled from Bangkok.

Escape at last!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1757s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb