Where you go??


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
June 25th 2008
Published: June 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This seems to be the question on every Thai's lips "Where you go, where you go??". "Im going this way" is now my repsonse....not to be rude, but it does get quite annoying.

After 3 weeks in this manic money fuelled country I have now become savvy and dont need to wiggle my way out of buying a T-shirt if Im just looking, I now just say I dont want it and walk away.

We went to the National Museum today, couldnt stand to be ripped off by another Tuk Tuk driver, even though you only pay them about 2 quid (but that to me is now expensive!), so we walked. It wasnt even that far, about 10-15 minutes. But when everything is so crazy and you cant see anything apart from what is directly in front of you, walking further than the end of the street seems a bit daunting.

So we got to the Museum, after loosing about 10 pounds in weight due to sweating, and had a look round. We just couldnt concentrate though because its that hot. We relaxed in the Cafe under the welcoming breeze of the air con and relaxed then got back to the tourist thing.

I think we both would of appreciated it more if we wernt still sweating!!

It was a good museum, and seemed to be you would see more there than going to the Big Buddha or the Grand Palace. The Grand Palace doesnt even look that impressive, everyone (taxi drivers and Tuk Tuk's) wants to get you to these 2 places and Im proud to say that we havent been there. I think every one goes because it looks cool, but to be honest Ive seen so many pictures and have tried to be coaxed into getting a taxi there that Ive lost interest, itd be nice if we could be left to make our own decisions about what we see and do, kind of like when you go into a shop and people are hassling you (not just in Thailand, but anywhere) and you just loose interest and walk out.

There was a pretty cool collection of shadow puppets and actual string puppets (which Phil wants to make when we get home) also some amazing gold chariots that the Kings and Queens ride in (or did) when they were on royal processions etc. And some interesting tablets (look like grave stones) that were about 1000 years old, even though we couldnt read them, just had to be careful I didnt knock them flying with my 'bull in a china shop' tendencies as Phil kindly pointed out.

After we left the museum we went to the pier and jumped on a boat to China Town, at least we thought that where it was going. We did say we wanted to go there but they didnt explain that you went to the other side of the river and then got off and got on another boat, so in the spirit of me and Phil being stupid tourists we spent half an hour going from one side of the river to the other thinking we'd set off in a minute to China Town. We did wonder why every time it got to the other side everyone (apart from us) got off! haha.

Sussed it out eventually, got to China Town and man is this THE China Town or what. You proabably couldnt get any closer to actually being in China.

Not like London where we have 1 very small street and thats it, this was the size of a large town and went on for ever. So many streets, with other smaller alleys leading off of them. Its amazing. I love the food markets, looking at all the ingredients they buy and trying to guess what it is. Ive never seen half of the stuff in my life! Frogs in bags, still alive, testicles, cow/sheep stomachs all for the taking, although I refrained on this one occasion from munching on a stomach.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.007s; cc: 14; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0648s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb