One Night In Bankok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
October 24th 2005
Published: November 20th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Khao San Road - Bankok

Flew from Kathmandu to Bankok (superb views of the Himalayas when leaving Kathmandu from the left side of the plane!). Absolutely stinking hot in Bankok. Stayed on Khao San Road (thankfully we were able to eventually find a room that didn't look like a prison cell, wasn't bug infested and didn't smell like marijuana. At 10.30 pm when we arrived the street was swarming with people, food vendours and people selling fake ID's/degrees etc. (anything you requested really!). It was a little disturbing to see a Victorian heavy vehicle drivers licence pinned to their sample board! Lots of people drinking cocktails (from small buckets!). There was certainly lots of good people watching to be done when you combine all these things. Great phad thai noodles (20 bhat a plate or 70cents) and choc banana pancakes for 50 cents.

Ayuthaya (former capital of Thailand several years ago)

A day tour from Bankok was more than enough time to see ruins of temples and several buddhas. Buddha has lots of different poses all meaning something different and I'm sure we saw each of them!

The Grand Palace

Toured the grand palace in Bankok
Chocolate Banana PancakesChocolate Banana PancakesChocolate Banana Pancakes

Food vendor on Khao San Road making us a choc banana pancake
- certainly some very impressive buildings. Stood metres below one of the biggest reclining buddhas (46 metres long and 15 metres high!)

Crazy Tuk Tuk Drivers

We had a couple of hair raising journeys with tuk tuk drivers while trying to make our way back to Khao San Road. One decided he would race another tuk tuk headed the same way and came close to bringing the 3 wheeled tuk tuk on to its 2 back wheels when accelerating off from the traffic lights. We also had more than one offer from a tuk tuk driver to take us to a "show." This meant a show at one of Bankoks many Go Go Bars or a girly show!

Advertisement



20th November 2005

adventures!
Hi Lou, Olivia came over this morning and I showed her the pics of us doing the 100km walk. We talked about what an adventurer you are! So true! We were wondering where you had got to! Keep up the enjoyment! Miranda
23rd November 2005

Bankok
Hey Lou, Glad that you are having a great time. Bankok is crazy..... Shopping is fantastic though. Cant wait to hear your next installment. Love Mel :)

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0206s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb