Home via Thailand


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
March 13th 2008
Published: March 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Well here goes for the last entry.

Left Sydney for the 10 hour flight to Bangkok (it started to rain as we left haha!)

Arrived in a very humid Bangkok at around midnight to a waiting (pre arranged) air conditioned car (thank god) to take us to the 'Dream' hotel in the City.
Have to say that this is one of the nicest Hotels I have ever stayed in and its a steal at around £20 each per night and that includes a delicious breakfast. Its the top rated Boutique Hotel in Thailand and rated third in all Asia and has lots of Black marble and blue neon lights under the bed, that sort of affair. The bed is THE most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. If anyone is ever coming to Bangkok we would highly recommend it.

Woke up the next morning and headed out to do the tourist stuff. Bangkok really does assault all of your senses (not all of them pleasant!) Its overcrowded, dirty, very smelly in places and completely enthralling. Politeness, unfortunately, goes a little out of the window when you look like a tourist as at every step there is somebody selling something (fake watches, fake handbags, ladyboys, boys, girls, suits...you name it) They not only shout at you and follow you down the street but also grab you by the arm and try to manhandle you back to whatever they are selling.

We were both in need of a coffee after about 500 yards so ducked into a Subway for a break. Not very authentic we know but it seemed preferable to the deep fried Scorpions and Cockroaches (not joking!) that they were selling from the market stalls.

Went to see the 'Mambo Cabaret' which is the most famous ladyboy cabaret in town. Its in a huge rundown theatre that is definately in need of a lick of paint (it would be a Gala bingo hall back home) Show left a little to be desired but the Ladyboys are unbelievable. I thought it was a bit of false advertising and they had put girls on the stage instead. After the show they all line up outside to have their picture taken with you (we didnt have the camera so are going to return when we are in Bangkok just to get some pics) and it looks like a Miss World line up. Heads up to all in the UK, they are bringing their show over for a mini tour in a months time but the only place we could figure out on the tour was Derby. Was also dragged into another 'Cabaret Show' which featured an all male line up and the content of which really doesn't need going into on here! Needless to say that it puts any Amsterdam has to offer to shame.

Have spent every night indulging my passion for Thai food which is absolutely gorgeous and another steal at around £5PP. I think we have managed to put back on any weight that we lost in Oz.


Currently in Pattaya down on the Gulf of Thailand until next Thursday then heading back to Bangkok for a few days before our flight home. Really looking forward to seeing everybody (despite the bad weather you are having!). Missing you all loads now.

Must dash, we have got a fitting down at the Thai tailors for the multitude of suits we are having made (more excess baggage charges!)

Thanks for all the messages we have received on here. It has been really good to have contact from back home when feeling a little home sick. Thanks for reading and see you all soon!!!!

Take care
G&PXX







Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



15th March 2008

What a grand finale!
We've enjoyed be able to reminisce at some of places you have been to and the experiences! Bangkok, relate to temples Buddha's, tailors, hussle and Tuk tuk's! oh and the smells. Boys think you could have tasted the scorpians and cockroaches! Really going to miss your blogs :o( (Fancy keeping them going when your back?) It will be great to see you, can you fit us in you busy schedule,maybe before the tans fade? Have a safe journey home. Well done for taking the adventure and hope you've both grown from it and enjoyed the ride!
28th March 2008

Hi u 2
O its drawing so so close and we cant wait to see you both! excess baggage eh how about trying to stuff that gold buddah in,lol. The picture with the cars looked like the M25!!! So glad you survived the tuk tuk boys. back from Gran canaria and everyone says hi and sends there love. Look forward to hearing from you both when your back. We will so miss the blog buy hey we will have you in the flesh so it's not all bad. love you both heaps, us xxxxx
4th May 2008

Good to have you back safe
Hey guys, good blog with amazing pictures. good to have you back in one piece. settle back in well. xxkml

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 47; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb