Grand Palace - last day in Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
October 16th 2007
Published: October 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Grand Palace complexGrand Palace complexGrand Palace complex

View of the Wat from outside the grounds
Ok so today we got up and checked out of our lovely hostel in Bangkok - Lamphu House - and left bags there in storage whilst we went to check out the Grand Palace and Emerald Buddha.

Planned in advance today ensuring we were respectfully dressed in the hope of being eventually able to go in and not get turned away!

Got there and found out that we could go into the Temple and Palace and Museum for 250 Baht so got tickets.

Started taking pics as soon as we got into the grounds - before even the ticket office as everything was so amazing!

Firstly we went into the Royal Thai Decorations and Coins Pavillion - museum noting lots of different aspects of Thai Cultural history including the Monarchy and traditions - v interesting

When we went through to the temple of the Emerald Buddha (Wat Phra Kaeo) we got snapper happy - you really have to see it to believe it I think - so beautifully designed and intricately crafted - the Temples really show how religious the Thais are and how much they worship their Buddha. We were awe-struck from every angle! Every
Grand Palace complex 2Grand Palace complex 2Grand Palace complex 2

Another view from outside
which way you turned there was always somthing else to be astounded by.

The Emerald (actually Jade) Buddha was smaller than I thought it would be but sat atop an equally beautiful gold throne! It is one of the most revered Buddha images and rightfully so - the King himself actually changes his costumes - one for summer, winter, and the rainy season. We managed to respect the Thai traditions of taking off your shoes before you enter a temple and not pointing your feet at the Buddha - although the last one proved a bit tricker - takes conscious effort every second in the temple!

The palace grounds were also exquisite so many different buildings and thrones etc ... we couldnt go in a few places but went where we could and took lots of pics of everything else! ;-)

Then it was a mad rush to get back to Soi Rambuttri for food and grab bags and go to Subway before heading to the train station in, you guessed it, another tuk tuk!! We did seriously wonder how we would get all of us and baggage in it, but we managed!

Read on for
'Traveller Jennie''Traveller Jennie''Traveller Jennie'

'Traveller Jennie' outside Wat Phra Kaeo
the entertainment that was the overnight sleeper train to Chiang Mai!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb