getting to know Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
August 5th 2005
Published: August 5th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday I had a brief walking tour of Bangkok that was helpful in getting to know the city better and gave me a small inkling of the wonderful shopping possibilities this city has to offer, which is enhanced by talking to people who have already lived here for at least six months. For example, we went into a shopping mall called "Sogo" with the most non-descript looking shoe store that you most likely wouldn't just walk into. It turns out that this shop will remake any pair of shoes you may have identically with high quality leather in whatever color you want. It's not dirt cheap ($40-$50), but if you have any really nice pairs of shoes, it is worth it to have another pair made there. There is also a fabulous outdoor market on Soi 5 off of Soi Lang Suan near the Embassy which has different stalls on each day of the week. Some of the best deals are on clothes - many famous designers manufacture their clothes here in Thailand and the market sells the clothes that come out of the designer factory but that weren't shipped for export. For example, a fancy pair of designer jeans that might cost $80-$90 in the US, is only $5-$10 at this market. Brand name children's clothes are sold for $1 or $2 a piece. Of course, you can't always find the size you want, but the merchandise has high turnover so you can keep going back and seeing different stuff.

On the walk, we saw Erawan Shrine, which is a Thai spirit house located at a major intersection in Bangkok (near Chitlom sky train stop). The name Erawan comes from Brahma's 33-headed elephant and the shrine is famous for bringing good luck to those who make offerings. Often, if a wish has been granted, people thank the spirits by commissioning dancers and live musicians. We happened to be there when such a thank you was going on and I attach pictures of the shrine and dancers. When we were there, we also saw someone releasing live birds. This is the kind of thing that you can stumble onto in the midst of urban Bangkok - pretty amazing. It was also very cool when I walked through the Thai school after dropping off Max and heard the children playing their Thai instruments - pretty skillfully I might add.

I also attach pictures of Max with his new NZ friend, Ava, who also goes to his school and is the same age. In one picture, they are talking to the building parrot that lives in the lobby. Max is really starting to like his new school, which is great. Some of the songs that he has learned at the school he is singing with a British accent!

I have booked our first travel weekend outside of Bangkok. In September, we are going to go to Krabi, a really beautiful beach town in Thailand on the Andaman sea. There was a great package deal on Thai Air since this is the low season. It will be nice to finally see the ocean!

Best,

Maddy


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Max, Ava & parrotMax, Ava & parrot
Max, Ava & parrot

There's a real conversation going on here.


5th August 2005

Travel Blog (Latest received)
Looks like Max is haveing a good time. His little friend is cute. Pictures are wonderfuly. Keep them comming. Barbara is learning to use her computer. Keep sending her info! She should have her own e-mail address soon. I made a remark about Dick not assigning Barbara own e-mail address so it souldn't be long. See you guys! Love Uncle Billy
7th August 2005

Wow!
What an absolutely fabulous time you guys are having. I love logging into your travel blog to keep up-to-date on all of your adventures. I especially love seeing all of the pictures of Max and love hearing all about his new school; his new friends; and all that he has been up to since your arrival in Bangkok. Gigi and I often talk about the various pictures that we have both viewed on the Travel Blog. So far-she seems to be most impressed with Max's new playground. Life at school just isn't the same without Max. We all miss him terribly. The 2A kids still point to his pictures on the wall on a daily basis and say such things as: "There's Max!"; "Look at Max. He is being so silly in that picture."; "Max is our friend. We miss Max. He went to his new house in Bangkok." Look forward to keeping up with all of your adventures. Give Max a hug for me! Miss Greg
8th August 2005

Hi from hot hot hot Arlington!
Wow, not even a month has gone by and Max has already found a beautiful exotic blond girlfriend and you guys know where to get Salvatore pump knockoffs. And where else would you find a building with a parrot! Tell Max that "Batman" says hi and that we're all enjoying the great pictures and descriptions. I am too jealous with the kids clothing for $1-$2 part. Love, Claudia, D and Big M.
8th August 2005

Been enjoying all your up-dates
It's such fun to hear about your daily life in Bangkok. I have to admit that I especially enjoy the photos of Max. Thanks so much for keeping in touch- love to all of you. Susan
9th August 2005

Your travel blog entries make my day! It is so wonderful to be living your Thai experience vicariously! What a great use of your time and how generous you are to your friends to take the time to share all of this with us. Thank you!

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb