Bangkok.....its French for ping pong


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
May 6th 2007
Published: May 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

weekend marketweekend marketweekend market

Weekend Market
After a nine hour flight, all we wanted to go is get to our hotel and get some sleep. We were greeted in Bangkok an impressive lightning display that was all too happy to light up the sky and show us Bangkok as we were in the back of a cab doing a buck 40 jumping from lane to lane on the way to our hotel.

The next day we headed to the biggest outdoor market in the world. Our hotel was located on that side of town so the train only took about 10min before we were in shopping heaven. There would have been 300 or so stalls jam packed into one row and this market consisted of 50 or 60 rows. They were selling everything from clothing to wooden products to animals to food. Closer to the edges of the market the air was a little cooler however in the middle, it was so hot and muggy that I felt sick and dizzy.

Day two we headed to the big shopping centre in Bangkok, MBK. This thing is packed with stalls on 12 floors and prices are negotiable. At first I must admit that my bartering
weekend market foodweekend market foodweekend market food

Weekend Market food
skills were not up to scratch but I soon worked it out. This latter came in very handy for the night markets in Patpong.

Monday was the day I was to find some suits. We went to a few places but I decided to get them made at the last place we went to as I talked my way into the VIP room where all the best fabrics were and then negotiated the prices of suits and shirts. I ended up getting two made, one charcoal pin-striped and one navy. I also got 4 shirts made. They turned out great, lets just hope I can get a job in London with them!

Tuesday was the tour day. I had organised a tour guide to take us to a few places outside of Bangkok. She picked us up from our hotel at 6:10am and we didn’t return until 8:30pm. We started off by seeing a local temple that is used by people in a town outside of Bangkok. There was crazy wood carvings all over the inside walls and lots of gold everywhere. We then headed to the floating market were we hired a boat and not only did
Floating MarketFloating MarketFloating Market

Floating Market
the market, but then continued down the river to see where the local people lived. Their houses were amazing. Very simple but so peaceful and relaxing.

After the market, we went to the Tiger temple. This is a place that was created by a monk and he was given a tiger cub by some other monks and so the story begins. Now there is not only tigers there but also all sorts of animals including bears, pigs, cows. The tigers have all been raised there and are used to human contact. Some people say the tigers are drugged and that’s why they are so friendly however I can say this is not true as one of the tigers saw a little pig on his way back to his cage and took off after it. They are 100% not drugged at all, they are still very much awake.

Wednesday we went to the Grand Palace and the temple of the emerald Buda. The grand palace is where the royal family used to live however they have now built a new palace so they stay their when in Bangkok. This place is crazy, lots of bling everywhere, its amazing that
Tiger TempleTiger TempleTiger Temple

Big Kitty
in a country with such poor people, the royal family loves to show off their wealth to everyone by having solid gold everything.

Thursday was spent doing last second shopping before we flew out on Friday morning.

On Wednesday I was wondering where they got the money to make their solid gold everything’s however when checking in to fly out, we were stung with a 19,000 BHT excess weight fee and were made to pay it before we left.

So now we are in London, staying at Matt’s house. We are going house hunting tomorrow, then its job hunting! Lets hope it all goes well!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Grand PalaceGrand Palace
Grand Palace

Grand Palace


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb