Day 2-3: Exploring Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
January 5th 2007
Published: January 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

To say that the transition into our new lives in Bangkok went seamlessly would be a complete fabrication of the truth.

We woke early on Wed. with grand plans for the day. Our hotel comes with a free breakfast buffet, so the plan was to get some food then hit the streets. Since we are traveling on a budget, the word "buffet" turned into "stuff your face so you don't have to spend money on food for the rest of the day". I (Mike) was fine with this; however, poor little Erin didn't handle the food-a-thon so well. Let's just say it made the day drag a bit. But don't worry, when we passed a Baskin-Robbins later Erin was able to man up. F.Y.I. In Thailand, Baskin-Robbins is a sit down eatery where there is a waitress to upsell and take your order. Very funny.

Part of our transition consisted of learing the public transportation system in this HUGE city. Our hotel is directly connected to Bangkok's skytrain, which is an above ground railsystem. It took a bit of work, but we got it down! Another popular mode of transportation are ferry's and longtail boats up and down the Chao Phraya River, which splits the city. In the past two days we've mastered the ferry system and have had a great time cruising the Chao Phraya.

Although we haven't been here for very long, we have made some amazing memories. After exploring the city we decided that we wanted to treat ourselves to a Thai massage. We ended up at Paradise massage which is a half block from our hotel. We had the pleasure of enjoying an hour long couples massage and it cost 400 baht; which is a whopping $12.00. If you haven't had a Thai massage they are great; it's a combination of stretching and massage.

After our massage we went to dinner at Pla Thong. This turned out to be a very different and wonderful dining experience. It's an open air restaurant that is right on the street. Your given a small grill which is where you cook your own food. The scariest part was going to the raw meat buffet to select what we thought for sure would make us sick. Fortunately for us, it was delicious without consequences.

Today (Thur.) we wanted to do some real touristy stuff. In Bangkok, that
Dentures?Dentures?Dentures?

Let us know if you have any dental needs.
means going to the Grand Palace. As you can see in the pictures this place is breathtaking. The entire place is covered in marble floors and gold walls with ruby and jade. We went into the main temple where the have the Emerald Buddha. Definitely one of the highlights so far.

On the way back to the hotel we had a very funny moment. We were sitting next to a German family and the five year old daughter was singing the chorus to "Smack That" by Akon. Both Erin and I stared laughing hysterically while the girl's father had a look of concern.

Tomorrow we are taking a bus to Trat then a ferry to the island Ko Chang. As fun as Bangkok has been we are looking forward to sandy beaches. We'll be there for a week so expect to see pictures of us with nice sunburns.

That's all for now. Thanks for all the comments; it's great to hear from everyone.




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Tomato BenchTomato Bench
Tomato Bench

I just had to get a picture of this for my Mom-o!
Grand PalaceGrand Palace
Grand Palace

Buddha doesn't care that it's 90 degrees outside with 88% humidity. He wants you covered in long pants or he doesn't let you in.
mmm...Beermmm...Beer
mmm...Beer

Singha is my new favorite beer.
Hey big guyHey big guy
Hey big guy

I'm not built for this place.


5th January 2007

Thanks
Thanks for the update. Looks like your having a great time. Stay Safe. Love, Dad
5th January 2007

Hello Erin & Mike
I'm glad you're having a good time. Pictures are great. Be safe.
5th January 2007

I love seeing all your pictures and reading about your trip. What a great idea! Looks like you guys are having an awesome time. I miss you Mike!
6th January 2007

SOOO impressed!
You two are as adorable as you are brave. I'm a big fraidy-cat as far as traveling to exotic countries. So I love that I can live vicariously through you! Be safe and have fun.
6th January 2007

Hootie Hoo
I'm already insanely jealous of you two. Wish I could be there tagging along, but I'll have to live vicariously through your updates for now. Have fun and take care of one each other. Love Ya -Paul Oh yeah- could you please add Silver's sister Diana to the list: diana.l.atkinson@kp.org
6th January 2007

Thank you!
Hey Guys! Thanks so much for letting us know about your blog! It is so fun reading about your adventures and seeing your pics-- Love you guys--- Esther, James and Rashawn
6th January 2007

You guys Rock!!!
I'm sooo glad everytthing is going awesome for you 2!!!! Can you bring back someone to massage me for $12.00??? I'll even bump it up to $20!!! I miss you dearly!!! Take care of her Mike and Erin the rule is you have to be able to carry everything you pack----no excuses!!! :) Love you both!!!!

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0589s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb