Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaew


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
November 23rd 2006
Published: November 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!! We had Thai food…and whined about not having turkey dinner. We love Thai food so try not to feel too sorry for us.
Our second day in Bangkok we planned on visiting the Temple of the Emerald Buddha (Wat Phra Kaew) and The Grand Palace. The Grand Palace is the royal residence, throne hall and some administrative offices of the government. Most of the complex is unavailable for viewing due to it still being used for official purposes. The grounds are immaculate and beautiful. The people of Thailand love their Royal Family; we are here during the celebration of the 60th year since Bhumibol Adulyadej became king. The city looks as if it is decorated for parades and everyone is wearing yellow, the royal color. It is always a possibility that it is always this way. We do know that they are having three nights of fireworks and that Friday is considered a National Holiday. Also proper dress is always required for the Grand Palace and Temples, meaning long pants and/or skirts for females. We had read about it the night before so we were prepared.
The Temple of the Emerald Buddha is also considered the Royal Monastery. No monks reside at this monastery even though it is built just as a Buddhist Monastery; this is due to it being the private chapel of the king. The ordination hall has a public side and a private side for the king. The main Buddha is made of one piece of jade, it started being called an Emerald Buddha by mistake when it was rediscovered yet the name stuck. The most interesting fact about the Buddha is that it has three seasonal costumes (summer, rainy season and winter) that it wears. The grounds consist of many buildings and pagodas. The jeweled tile work and gold tiles are everywhere. It is beautiful and gaudy all at the same time.



Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The Emerald Buddha in Winter seasonal costumeThe Emerald Buddha in Winter seasonal costume
The Emerald Buddha in Winter seasonal costume

Fuzzy picture due to being taken from outside the temple with zoom lense. Photos are not allowed inside.


3rd December 2006

Fish and Chips
Hey. We had Fish and Chips at a pub in London for Thanksgiving! I'll make you a turkey dinner when you get here! Have fun. Love,Cynda

Tot: 0.384s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 25; qc: 142; dbt: 0.1747s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb