Bangkok Again


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
March 5th 2018
Published: March 5th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Friday 2 March 2018

We both had a good nights sleep, after an early night.

A retail day today.

Stirred early and on our way at 9.30 am.

Back across the river on the ferry and up to the Skytrain. First I added some money to our Rabbit cards and then a simple journey without changing to the last stop at National Stadium.

A friend had previously given us a recommendation about MBK Mall and there are signs from the station, so easy to find.

It is seven floors of shopping. We arrived at 10.30 am and did every floor leaving at 4.00 pm.

We had refreshments occasionally to give us a break. We made some purchases, nothing of particular note but good value.

Our journey back was easy and we were in the room at 4.45 pm.

The last time we were in Bangkok, The Asiatique retail area was within walking distance and we spent a lot of time there. We decided to visit tonight.

After only a couple of hours rest, we were on the move. About 7 pm we walked round to the ferry and crossed the river.

There is a free shuttle ferry from the other side to Asiatique. It was busy but we didn't have to wait to long. Lots of Chinese.

Asiatique was very similar. Some new stuff. We had a look around then went to a bar restaurant called Brick for a drink. Pat had a Gin & Tonic, with the Gin in syringes. She said the best in a while.

We found a busy little restaurant we had eaten in before and had Thai food for our dinner. It was good food.

After some more perusing and wandering around we set off for home, which didn't seem to take long. A short wait for the free ferry and then across the river.

Back in the room for 10.30 pm.

Saturday 3 March 2018

Both slept well.

Haven't said it for a while but weather hot and sunny.

A slow start to the day and we were going for more retail as our plan today.

Left the room at 11 am and did the walk to the pier then across on the ferry and up to the Sky train. Heading for Siam and across the walkway into Siam Centre.

We have visited the store before but, we wandered around anyway. At 1 pm we headed for the food court and eventually went into a Pizza place. We both had spaghetti Carbonara and it was spot on. I had a refillable Lemon Ice Tea, it was sweet and very tasty. Pat had an Iced Latte, which had frozen lumps of coffee as well as ice cubes. This gave Pat some ideas to use when back home.

Then a little more Siam Centre. We crossed over to Siam Discovery and spent a very long time in here. There was one shop called Loft which had some amazing stuff. I would recommend a visit to anyone. More refreshments were taken in a little instore cafe.

Then on to Siam Paragon. Again, we have visited this mall before, so had an idea of it's contents. The shops are beautiful, all the big, big names, including having shops with cars in them like Rolls Royces and Ferraris.

So after arriving we had a look on the Bangkok app and thought that although we like looking at the high end stuff, we weren't achieving much. So next door again was Central World.

We walked down the road and into the Mall. Busy with lots of groups. Much more at our level and we enjoyed perusing.

We visited a Haagen Das ice cream cafe, which had run out of some of the ice creams! and reduced my drink option from three choices to one. We both had the same.

Then more wandering and finally left about 6 pm. Off to the Sky Train, then ferry across the river. A stop at Sena Fest for some supplies and back to the hotel for 7 pm.

The supplies were for our tea and we were finished for the day.

Sunday 4 March 2018

Slept well. Weather hot and sunny.

Awake at a good time and our plan today, was a Klong (canal) tour and a visit to Lumpini park.

We left the hotel at 10.40 am and headed out for the ferry crossing. By the hotel is a little shop that we have walked past a number of times, that Pat noticed a good price for Thai baggy trousers. We stopped today and bought some.

The Longtail boat tour people are under the skytrain bridge and we went to the guy and arranged our trip. There are three options and we went for the middle one at 2 hours, 1000 baht each and with things that we wanted to see. We then waited a short while, others joined us and we set off.

We made a stop where some got off and then continued sightseeing along the river.

We got off at the floating market and had half an hour to look around. We had a drink and a quick look at things.

Back on the boat and continued around the canals sightseeing. Until returning to the beginning. Well worth it.

Up to the Skytrain and off to Siam to get some lunch. We went into Siam Centre and to the food court, found a place called Sizzler and had some lunch.

Then back to Sala Daeng, which we figured is near to the Lumpini park. Departed and simply followed the signs.

The park is ok and has some lakes. We saw terrapins in the water. However the big surprise is the Monitor lizards. We saw a number, but one of them must have been 2 metres long. Pat wasn't keen on them!

An interesting and very pleasant amble. However at 4 pm we had had enough and walked back to the Skytrain. Back to the pier and on to the ferry, our short walk back to the hotel through the little park, a stop at the 7eleven and in the room at 4.45 pm.

We both had showers, some snacks for our tea and that was us.

Monday 5 March 2018

Another good nights sleep. Weather hot and sunny.

The plan for today was to do spend time on the river on the tourist hop on hop off boats.

We left the room and headed for the ferry at 1045 am. By the way there is a very large pig at the pier! Always seems asleep, but is in a different location whenever we see him, so at sometime he must move.

Across on the ferry and over to the other boats; Chao Praya. We paid 180 baht each for an all day, hop on hop off ticket. Loads of people to show you what to do and where to go. Ferry came after 10 minutes at 1130 am and we went to Lhong 1919 pier as it was a new stop and not one we had seen.

This was a Chinese merchants place and now largely restored with shops, restaurants and temples.

Very serene and beautiful place. We had refreshments in a cafe and wandered around, then back to the pier. A short wait and we hopped on another boat.

This time off at Wat Arun and a visit to the Buddhist temple. We had come prepared clothing wise, although they didn't seem as strict as we have seen in some places.

Another stunning location and very busy.

We looked at the souvenir stalls as we went back to the pier.

On the boat and off to Tha Maharj. We looked around for somewhere to eat and decided upon a Thai looking place. Very nice. I ordered a stir fry pork and rice dish, which when it arrived was not quite how I imagined, but very edible. Anyway, during the meal I ate one of the side items on the plate, and bloody hell, my head took off. I had a runny nose and hiccups straight away! I think it was some form of chile. I left the rest of it! Reasonable price for the meal as well.

Dessert was provided by Dunkin Donuts next door.

It was 2.45 pm and as we have plenty on our plate later decided to return.

So, a little wait for the ferry and straight back to Saphan pier. Straight on a ferry and across. Took pictures of the pig this time.

Went to the laundry lady, some stuff was ready. Back later for the rest.

In the room 4.30 pm. At 6 pm we popped to the laundry for our final stuff and the 7eleven for some supplies and beer. Pat had to go to the laundry again as she was missing a top, but the lady had it and all was well.

An early night after some prepping as we are travelling to Cambodia in the morning for two nights to visit Ankor Wat.

Flight at 10 am from Don Muang airport on AirAsia. So an early start.





















Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb