Treacherous Road to Garm


Advertisement
Tajikistan's flag
Asia » Tajikistan
October 11th 2009
Published: October 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
This first video shows the treacherous road to Garm, Tajikistan from Dushanbe. It's literally 4 hours of freaking hell on a dusty, rocky, narrow, windy road. The scenery, however, is quite beautiful, but it's difficult to look at when you are in a taxi with a crazy driver who is weaving all over the road trying to avoid pot holes, cows, and sheep. I actually had callouses on my hand from holding onto the "oh shit" handle! One has to leave from Dushanbe at 6 a.m. to go to Garm and there is NO sleep on this road. It's eyes open all the way.

The second video is of us being gridlocked by sheep coming down from the mountains. I was told that villages send roughly 1,000 sheep into the mountains in the spring and in the fall 2,000 sheep come back. (haha) You do the math. It seemed like all 2,000 sheep were being brought down the mountain right in front of our car. It was sooooo freaking dusty, too. It was definitely an experience worth sharing though.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb