Returning to Tajikistan


Advertisement
Tajikistan's flag
Asia » Tajikistan » Kurgan Tube
October 17th 2017
Published: October 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

And sometimes it just seems abit surreal!



Returning from our first farmer's meeting, we stop at a local fruit stand to enjoy some delicious watermelon and then further down we buy kilos of the best and largest pomegranates, I have ever seen, it feels like the most natural place for us to be. We are returning for another ACDI Voca project, our third, it feels so comfortable. Greeted so warmly, as old friends, it is a delight to be back working with Muzzafar and Nagis. And at each farm, we enjoy the company of the farmers. Ed continues to work on pruning and grafting techniques and starting to see more and more farms pruning. I now enjoy visiting with the women and although the conversations don't always work there way back to 'record keeping', it is a very enjoyable exchange. Although today I was asked probably the most unusual question - 'are they your real teeth?'.... That is a first.



We also, this weekend joined Hike Tajikistan a small outfit, that organizes weekly hikes. This one was an over nighter at Iskanderkul, a beautiful glacier lake at 7200 feet in the Fan Mountains. The surrounding snow covered mountains were beautiful and the 'lowlands' golden aspens rimmed the turquoise lake - stunningly beautiful. It was a slow 3 hour drive with multiple tunnels including a 3 mile long one. The road hugs the mountains, most of the way, but the views take your attention off the steep drop-offs and the large truck traffic. It is hard to believe that this is the only road to the North. We shared the weekend with 6 other expats, (3 Germans, 2 from Poland, 1 from France and Sweden, a mini EU) including Marin, 5 yr old son. We thoroughly enjoy the company.



Trying to get this posted tonight... As always so much more to write....


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



19th October 2017

Great work as always
Hi Ed and Michelle: Have you ever kept track of all the miles you have traveled? Do you earn frequent flyer miles from these trips? Great photos again and of course a series of photos to show the humanity of all the places you visit. When you mentioned pomegranates I think of the passion fruit in Kenya. Those mountains look inviting. Best wishes on future adventures there and safe travels. Grant

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb