TAJIKISTAN with the Tajik Outlaws...On the Road Again


Advertisement
Asia » Tajikistan » Khorog
November 9th 2017
Published: November 8th 2017
Edit Blog Post

TAJIKISTAN with the Tajik Outlaws Part 2...On the Road Again. Sometimes fear is your friend...sometimes your foe...but what is it really? It's an illusion that can grip you by the throat.and lift you and toss you all about. It can fool you like illusory mirrors...reflect only the unreal...or make you THUD to earth like an insect in a cocoon. Or make you land with a SPLAT...on the road. Someti... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 105, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




The Guardians of KhorogThe Guardians of Khorog
The Guardians of Khorog

A motley crew indeed

The Panj RiverThe Panj River
The Panj River

Let me eat ya





9th November 2017

Finding a restroom at the end of the world can be difficult...
I remember taking my Mom to west China and her suddenly needing a potty stop. There were none around. And we had just passed a Red Army convoy. She went behind the car, hoping the convoy wouldn't catch her in the act! Di you ever dip your hand in the Panj River?
9th November 2017

Finding a restroom at the end of the world can be difficult...
Ladies usually preferred behind open car doors and men preferred heading into the scrub we found. No one stuck their toes in the Ranj but I stuck a hand in and I swear I felt it bit me!
9th November 2017

Adventure
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. It looks so beautiful, and those forts, it looks as if civilization began there, then moved away just leaving them as they were.
9th November 2017

Adventure
T'was just as a road trip should be Jools...hanging onto your seat and boogieing along. Hulbuk Fortress was a working mosque but they seemed to think we were more interested in seeing piles of dirt with ancient brick or tile within. As much of the trip was along the ancient Silk Road, some of the forts we saw were mysterious indeed. More to come.
9th November 2017

Homestays, hard but so worth it
Firstly, didn't they read the trip notes??? Secondly, why would you even travel in a country like this if you can't be flexible??? And then there's the virtue of supporting small businesses. Sigh. I have no sympathy. And just wondering... If you travel, and don't get the trots, have you even travelled? ;)
9th November 2017

Homestays, hard but so worth it
And there I was being subtle Ren...and you have highlighted the elephant in the room. I could not agree with you more. A question in return. What happens when you shine a light in dark corners? The adventure continues!
9th November 2017

The true magic of roads less travelled is being in the moment
The true magic of roads less travelled is being in the moment, enjoying all that comes & passes you by, not wishing for things to be different or better or wanting to elicitie change to the now & the future, that is what I crave & want when I travel & this trip did not disappoint ‘tho it clearly did for some. More the pity for them.
9th November 2017

The true magic of roads less travelled is being in the moment
Some just enjoy the ride. and some don't...some simply enjoy what's offered and some won't. Generosity of heart unfortunately has never been a universal thing. Fortunately for most of us it is. Our hosts wherever we went were gracious and generous to a tee...and with Camel hanging out of the window with the drop below...and the Cool Kids who they be..no better place for we!
9th November 2017

On the record
I am hoping for many more trips enjoyed & shared with my dear friends Merry & Dave - let’s continue the tradition xx
9th November 2017

On the record
and then there was the music!!!
9th November 2017

When ya gotta go!
What a great trip! Amazing scenery in this elusive, yet fascinating part of our world. I gotta go - to the Stans I mean... I like blogs that talk about bodily functions whilst travelling - it keeps it real. We've all gambled with a fart and lost... Great travels - keep dancing. Dave
9th November 2017

When ya gotta go!
Stripped & exposed I feel Dave...just the subtle mention of bodily inconvenience has prompted a comment...or was it the scenery? We had a number of incidents that if not for the Apothecary carried by MJ we'd have been in big trouble...bless her. Always thought that the Pharmacy of in the event we carried was enough...but did it slow us down? Yes and nay.
9th November 2017

Ups and downs
sounds like you had a great time, though the German couple and the Irish woman does sound like a bit of a concern, I mean why do you travel to this kind of destination if you can't be flexible with your accommodation? Besides a home stay beats a hotel, it's much nicer to live with locals than just observe them from a distance.
9th November 2017

Ups and downs
My little tit-bit of the attitude issue has hit a response from you that I felt Per-Olof...similarly from Ren. Interesting as I have not hinted at the true extent. Watch this space...more than interesting!!!
9th November 2017

Tajikistan
Hi Dave, I can see you are also a good poet.. Watching your pics ,now I really regret not to have been to Tajikistan and I was so close. My heart will travel with you Dave. Have a safe trip, ciao..
9th November 2017

Tajikistan
Ah Marcos...warms my heart to hear you felt pangs from viewing the photos. The best are yet to come. The high Pamirs is out of this World.
9th November 2017

The Tajik Outlaws.....movin' and a groovin'
Exciting to read about our adventures and re-live an amazing journey.....the Dangerous One
9th November 2017

The Tajik Outlaws.....movin' and a groovin'
I will always remember Mr Zee dancing while driving, Dangerous One...and us doing likewise to encourage him along. The connection we developed with Mr Zee as a result was definitely a highlight of our trip. What great memories indeed.
9th November 2017

Oh my friend you make me laugh and warm my heart
I smiled the entire time I read this and chuckled with joy. I wish we’d do this trip again. It was magical even with certain attitudes. This may be one of your best blogs. Your word pictures are as exquisite as your photos. You are number one dancing one. I love you and miss you. MJ
9th November 2017

Oh my friend you make me laugh and warm my heart
Wow MJ...beautiful words...thank you. I smile and think. Ya ain't seen nothing yet!!!
11th November 2017

Dynamice of tour groups
I love how the dynamics of the tour group unfolded with the Dancing Car and your group of fun travelers. Traveling can be what you make of it and it sounds like you made the most of it. Loved the blog, loved the pictures.
11th November 2017

Dynamics of tour groups
Nice to hear from you Brendan. Group dynamics can make or break a tour group. I usually would avoid mentioning it and some may prefer I didn't...but when we are in Travel Heaven and there is a black cloud pervading the air...I prefer to expose it and see if it gets out of there. Surprises, great times & pics to come!
11th November 2017
Hot pools

Looks like a mineral water well
That looks like a mineral water well. Could you drink the water? We found a similar looking place in Georgia a few years ago and the water there was perfectly good to drink and very rich in minerals and actually it was naturally carbonated. /Ake
11th November 2017
Hot pools

Looks like a mineral water well
I do not know if anyone risks drinking the water Ake but it is a limestone formation of a hot spring. Behind it was an open air pool where about 30 or more naked men stood or soaked some rubbing white powder over their bodies which I assume was calcium carbonate. Whether that has health properties or relieves skin conditions I do not know. Some were totally covered in it. An extraordinary sight but not one I would dare take a photo to share! I suspect there was a pool for women too.
11th November 2017
Magical Tajikistan

Cool trip in a cool country
It sounds like you had a great trip and that Tajikistan is a wonderful country. /Ake
11th November 2017
Magical Tajikistan

Cool trip in a cool country
Well said Ake. I love this scene too.
14th November 2017

A Great Warrior/Dancing Dave
The saga started with a James Bond spirit...was expecting to see more fireworks...encounter with the Talibans..., but not happening yet...will it be in the next episodes? Will hope so before I head out on 24th!
14th November 2017

A Great Warrior/Dancing Dave
Always surprises to come Tab...you know me!
10th December 2017

Colours
The mountainside looks like it’s been painted .
11th December 2017

Colours
Really appreciate comments on photos Lynne. The colours and majesty of the mountains on the Afghan border took our breath away. Really hard to capture the feel with any single image as the vista was so huge.
10th December 2017

Outlaws indeed !!
Sounds like folk who don’t do their research and so know what kind of accommodation is on offer on a trip like this are the ones who should be outlawed ! Scenery is magnificent. Love it!
11th December 2017

Outlaws indeed !!
We are the Tajik Outlaws...the three are the complainers. We did not believe they did not do their research...nah...didn't believe a word of it. Glad you appreciate the landscapes. They were so hard to adequately capture with small images.

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 20; qc: 29; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb