TAJIKISTAN with the Tajik Outlaws...Life ain't easy in the High Pamir


Advertisement
Published: November 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

TAJIKISTAN with the Tajik Outlaws...Part 5. Sherali our guide lives with his wife and two children in Alichur in the High Pamir (see last blog). Zamanbek (Mr Zee) our driver lives with his wife and four children in Murghab.(our next destination). In the 4 months of Summer they must work and earn as much money as possible to support their families as Winter is a gruelling 8 months long...tempera... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 105, Displayed: 21


Advertisement


















26th November 2017

Ice cream.
Another great blog. I loved the intro about the winters and heating - an often overlooked part of travel experience due to not many folks visiting through the colder months. I do like the sound of eating ice-cream in a yurt full of Tajik girls - but a regular coffee will have to satisfy for the time being. Dave
26th November 2017

Ice cream
Thanks for commenting Dave. The sharing of daily life by locals is the bud of travel for us. The telling of life in the Pamir one cold windy night in a mountain yurt and how to play the bone game was like a flower opening for us...beautiful and revealing in so many ways. The best part was they were willing to share it with us.
26th November 2017

The air is thin.....the smiles are bright
Dancing One......great descriptions of a fabulous part of the journey that once again transport us back to a magical place.....many thanks....The Dangerous One
26th November 2017

The air is thin.....the smiles are bright
I thought Tajikistan would be a revelation Dangerous One but I had no idea how beautiful. As we work our way into the High Pamir day by day the images and experiences got better and better. How privileged are we that locals were happy to share it with us?
27th November 2017

It's cold alright!
Gee, i thought we are cold in Calgary with - 30C. Amazing how people make a living at that bone chilling -50c. Great story, Dave! I am on road, cuerwntly traveling through Chiang Mai...may not be able to read always. Bear with me pl.
27th November 2017

It's cold alright!
Calgary to Chang Mai sounds like quite a contrast Tab. Enjoy your trip. We found the heat of the days in Tajikistan brain sapping especially in the lowlands but Winter in the Pamir would be life threatening for me...even if they let me join the bone game! My next blog has the best landscape pics in my opinion by far...rivals the best in the World...so I hope you don't miss that. Happy travels.
27th November 2017

Homestays
So interesting reading about the details of the yurts, I've always wanted to stay in one. Sorry to hear that you and Denise had dodgy guts on the trip, I know getting sick is sometimes unavoidable - but what a pain in the bum (literally) it is :( I'm intrigued by Merry and Dave's first aid kit! I'll need to ask Merry for an itemised list...
27th November 2017

Homestays
We brought a pharmacy. Dave & Merry Jo brought an apothecary...drugs not otherwise available to man. Effective though!. None of the food at the homestays caused any problems Ren, That's probably because we made sure everything we consumed was just cooked and hot. All except the home made apricot or cherry jam which was worth risking dying for!
28th November 2017

Great Post!
28th November 2017

Great Post!
Thank you for your comment. An insight into life in the High Pamir. Enjoy.
28th November 2017
Every Pamir day is a party day

Amazing picture
Love it!
28th November 2017
Every Pamir day is a party day

Amazing picture
Well spotted Nina & Markus. When clicked on to enlarge it has a wow factor for me. We like it so much it is our Christmas card image this year.
30th November 2017

Transporting me to the past.
Once again thank you for telling the story of our adventure together. Missing you both. What a grand trip in the High Pamir's. It was terrific meeting the families of our friends. Denise's horse festival photo is perfect... better watch out she's coming after you. :) Wish we could fly Sherali and Mr Zee in to visit us. That would be great fun.
30th November 2017

Transporting me to the past.
The recent past I hope MJ. The adventure continues...watch this space!
1st December 2017

And here I thought Sweden was cold :p
Minus 45 Celsius is a killer, respect to those that are tough enough to survive it! I actually spent the first half of the post thinking that maybe the usual suspects had calmed down and decided to join the fray on enjoying the region for what it is. Seems I was mistaken. :-p Great blog as always! I look forward to the next one!
1st December 2017

And here I thought Sweden was cold :p
I could not even imagine minus 45 let alone minus 55C Per-Olof. I understand Murghab is the coldest place in Tajikistan and has recorded minus 60C before. The coldest I have experienced is about minus 20C in China...I was the only one at the carved grottos that day! But you Swedes are tough...minus 20C for you is probably a fine day!
2nd December 2017

Horsing around in the roof of the world
There was such a festive spirit amongst the people of the High Pamir at this horse festival - it was a joy & privilege to be part of it. This is same place where Merry Jo on-gifted Tara Cloud’s scarf, so fitting & deeply personal - great times shared with our dear friends Dave & Merry Jo xx
2nd December 2017

Horsing around in the roof of the world
Great times...great folks to horse around with...shared memories of the High Pamir...priceless.
10th December 2017
Every Pamir day is a party day

Party day
Girls will be girls . Love it !
11th December 2017
Every Pamir day is a party day

Party day
This is one of our favourite photos of the trip Lynne. Fills me with the children's joy whenever I see it. Transports me every time.
10th December 2017

Winters Tales and Bones
These people have such hard lives as you say ..I wondered what the Russians ever did for them when they were part of USSR. The Bones games sounds like a version of English Lawn Bowls !!
11th December 2017

Winters Tales and Bones
Some feel they were better off under Russian rule Lynne. They all had jobs, compulsory education and accommodation. Yet did they have an independent spirit that we all enjoy. That I don't know. Bones like lawn bowls...interesting take and I can see what you mean.
23rd November 2018
Every Pamir day is a party day

This is a great picture! Perfect for a Xmas card for sure!
25th November 2018
Every Pamir day is a party day

Every day is a party day
One of my favourite pics I have ever taken, Andrea. So many conjectures it conjures up. And for me so special as it is in the high Pamir.

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 22; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0667s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb