Who Are Persians?


Advertisement
Tajikistan's flag
Asia » Tajikistan » Dushanbe
October 15th 2014
Published: October 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

On The Tajiks Culture

Life in Tajikistan appear to be stress free. Faces on the streets are calm and I have yet to see someone looking distrusted or angry. In an interesting way I feel this people somehow are closer to my roots as a ‘Persian.’ The culture feel like Persian here; not an Iranian; a very strange feeling. Tajiks’ religiosity is Moslem مسلم without being Islamist or Evangelist. Government of Tajikistan is pushing to remove the mosques to outside of city limits by refusing to renew their land lease. It is a respectable way of exercising your religion without having to push it down people's throat with advertising or religious banners and propagandas all over the town, like we see in Iran. Walking kilometers everyday around here, I have not seen any mosques or heard the sound of Azon and religous prayers anywhere- much unlike Tehran with a mosque at every street corner and loudspeakers shouting something or the other.

I see a lot of characteristics in Tajiks that seem closer to what's being famous as Persian: For one, Persian hospitality, مهمان نوازی. When I go to people’s home as a guest, I notice that they put everything edible they have in the house on the Sofreh (table). The items need not to match in rhyme or reason among the stuff they offer you, but they do it lovingly and generously. A hand towel, bread, raisons, yogurt, chocolate candies, soup ( شوربا )-and whatever eateries they have is put out in front of you. One day a year during the muslim holiday of Eid Fettr–a day of festivity, everyone's door in Tajikistan is really open to anyone to walk in and eat what is set out for them on the sofreh; the table cloth spread on carpets. Even if the hosts are not home themselves, or have to be somewhere else on that day, their homes remain open and food inside available for any gust who wishes to come in––a genuine sense of Persian Hospitality. This ancient tradition may have faded away from most other Muslim nations, or politicized like in Iran. Tajik culture has remained more true, untouched and authentic to its ancient Persian values....a plausible point. The great poet Jami and Abu Ali Sina, the Father of Medicine, among many other great Persian nobles come from this culture.

The country is relatively poor, but you hardly see any beggars or pan handlers on the streets ––perhaps due to their 'Persian Pride.' In the Middle Eastern and other Central Asian countries which are predominately Muslim, I have seen the streets infested by the street beggars everywhere and deem part of the landscape.

Tajik language uses Russian alphabet, but it reads and sounds out Farsi/or Tajik. I have posted a conversion table which with a little effort Iranians can read Tajik writings with Russian alphabet. It is not as confusing or difficult as you think once you see it. You can read the sign I posted using the chart.

Tajikistan is perhaps the Iran of a hundred years ago in a cultural way. Less technology but more Persian originality than we see in Iran of Afghanistan. They say; When a Tajik give his words, he has given his signature, this is as authentic of an old Persia as the Persian Cat!

Many Tajiks believe they had a better life before their separation from the Mother Russia, the Soviet Union in 1992. Perhaps the roots of socialistic attitude in Tajik culture is what's repressible for their non-greediness and social cooperation with each other. They
Noass or نا س in TajikiNoass or نا س in TajikiNoass or نا س in Tajiki

About 40% to 60% of men in Tajikistan are addicted to this substance called Noass. They ground the tobacco to a owder form adding Lime آهک and the ashes from burned pine needles, depending on availability and the region. It is used in similar fashion the tobacco is chewed in the West; they hold it under their tong for a period of 15 to 20 minutes. The premature loss of Tajiks teeth and replacement of them with gold teeth is highly caused by the use of Noass.
believe the good of all in the society is more important than the individual freedom.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.268s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1669s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb