<<回台湾走走2011>> - Cijin (旗津) Island, Kaohsiung


Advertisement
Taiwan&#039;s flag
Asia » Taiwan » Kaohsiung
May 18th 2011
Published: June 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday, 18th May 2011


After lunch today, we were off to Xiziwan (西子湾) MRT Station (on the tail of the orange metro line) for our onward journey to Cijin (旗津) Island. On our way to the ferry terminal, it was hard to miss the Mother of all ice shops, 海之冰. For this shop was regularly featured on many Taiwanese shows and highly recommended by our Taichung cabbie, Mr Zhou.

As usual, like most places we visited in Kaohsiung, crowds were thin at 海之冰 and it was easy for us to locate a table. And as usual, with our "kiasu" mentally, we ordered a multi-flavoured (综合水果冰) fruit ice. For NT 180, the generous serving was large enough for our party of 4.

My only gripe was that it would be perfect if the ice shavings were as fine as the version I had tasted in Taipei. Probably different schools of thoughts but still nonetheless perfectly delicious.

Continued our way to the Gushan Ferry Terminal, each of us parted NT 15 into the coinbox for the short 5-minute journey to the island. The journey reminded me of the similar experiences I had in Hong Kong and Penang.

Prior to this trip, I did not had the time to research into the details of Cijin so it was a pleasant surprise to find a lighthouse, a disused fort and a section of underground tunnels located on this small island. There were clearly marked trails for visitors to link these places together.

For sure, this would not be possible if not for our Kaohsiung tour guide, SS for leading us through the walking mission. Weather today was ideal for an afternoon walk even though the occasional showers did force us to take cover at the many shelters on the island.

Cijin Island should be high on the "must-see" itinerary for all visitors to Kaohsiung for this provides a good escape from the city. Its strategic position which provided a natural breakwater from the ocean helped to reaffirmed Kaohsiung's identity as a Harbour City as well as being the # 1 port in Taiwan. This aside, Cijin continued to be a weekend pilgrimage for the many visitors drawn to the fresh seafood offerings which the island is famous for.

With the sun completely obscured by the clouds, there was no way for us to view the famed "西子湾 Sunset" this evening. We zipped straight back to Central Park Metro Station for some shopping before our dinner today.

HQ and SS had recommended this ever popular Old Szechuan Hotpot Restaurant located at the opposite end of Shinkuchan (新掘江) District. They had made reservation weeks before we arrived in Taiwan. I am never a steamboat fan but the clear soup base and the sukiyaki pork slices were certainly worth paying attention to.

Dinner @ Old Szechuan was a refreshing change from the night market snacks we had for dinnner. Both summed up the quintessential Taiwan dining experience which I fully appreciate during the trip.





Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb