Colombo to Unawatuna


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka
April 19th 2006
Published: May 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well for a start we really have to start actually backpacking and stop taking taxi's everywhere. So taking a taxi we head south along the coast and witness the after effects of the Tsunami where even after a year and half people are still without homes, on the plus side there appears to be plenty of aid under way with the Red Cross from various countries in the progress of building new homes, here's keeping our fingers crossed for a better future.
So with no particular place to stay we eventually find a really nice hotel - with one shoe box room available - so we take it. Unawatuna beach is much more built up to tourism than I expected and there are plenty of hotels along the beach which also have plenty of beachside bars to enjoy. As usual we head off and explore the area only to bump into a couple we met during the camel safari we did in Rajasthan, India, about 2 months previous - what a small world we live in once again... So after a quick hello we left them to find a bed for the night as the beach area was pretty busy due to the New Year holidays and met up for some grub and a few beers later on that evening,as it turned out the restaurant didn't have a beer license so we had to use a tea pot to hide the beer....emmm, and a quick hello to Dave and Bronia by the way and good luck on your travels, hope to see you back in blighty.
Next the weather unfortunately took a turn for the worse over the next couple of days and rained almost continuously for our last day so we decided to skip our next destination which was another beach called Marissa, after all, we'd been on beaches for about a month now so it was time to head into the hill country and see the Sri Lankan tea plantations and to climb Adam's Peak - the most religious mountain in all of Sri Lanka - however before that we have a couple of stops including Tangalle to see the turtles come onto the beach and lay their eggs as well as Yalla West National Wildlife park to hopefully see elephants, buffalo, leopards, deer and other wildlife - next stop Tangalle and the turtles....



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb