Dambulla


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Western Province
January 29th 2014
Published: January 30th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Dambulla

D5

A bit cooler today at 24 degrees instead of the 30 and 28 of previous days, but still warm since there was less breeze. We headed back South down the route we took on Monday until we turned off onto a minor road just after the car accident where the car looked definitely twisted and leaking water badly. This is the first accident we have seen in a country with busy roads, but not fast traffic, and everyone blowing horns but giving space and no aggression. Most people treat us with respect and many wave and shout ‘hello’. School children run to the gates and shout and wave. We must look like aliens from another planet in our lycra and futuristic bicycles (compared to their roadster workhorses). Again we saw many birds today, kingfishers, egrets, black headed ibis, buzzards, herons and many many more. The minor roads are quite rough like someone has laid them with a shovel and loads of potholes, as though they have been getting lessons from Lancashire County Highways department. Today, however, was marked by the rain we had after 11am with about four showers which were quite heavy and needed raingear, especially as we entered Dambulla and the Hotel. Luckily the temples were off limits today and all we got to see were a couple as we whizzed past and the history of one where a large badly groved whetstone is situated where some ancient King had his swords sharpened before battle 1000 years ago. And I thought Buddhists were peace loving. The countryside is relatively flat with a few large rocks and small hills appearing at random and lakes which you can see fishermen in small boats fishing with nets and cormorants and other large birds waiting for their part of its bounty. Parakeets can also be heard in the trees making their raucous noise and the doves doing their trilling. The hotel is quite good, even though my shower support bracket was broken, the water is hot and the food is good. It was Caryl’s birthday today and after the meal the lights went out again and the staff kindly came in with candles and ringing a bell and carrying a massive birthday cake. Lovely. As we went to bed the sky was lit up with fireflies, which was four hours too late after our short power cut at 6pm just as some were showering. Another good day amongst great people in a great country.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.506s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1689s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb