Negombo Market


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Western Province » Negombo
February 12th 2014
Published: February 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Last day in Sri Lanka of the (non) cycling holiday. Hot day again at 33 deg and no cloud. Spent 1/2 hr bagging up my bike for transit then walked into town to visit the massive market which sells everything from a ladle made from a stick with a coconut shell on the end to a metal pan scrubber. Clothing for ever, and more food than you think could ever be consumed. Fruit and veg, many of which are unknown to us and then the fish market. Once seen never forgotten. Half an acre of fish drying on the sun on coconut matts, fish being gutted by women in tents on the sand and fish cut up in front of you from tuna to little silver fish, prawns, octopus and swordfish but to name a few. Amazing and smelly. The market is massive and I walked that far that I had to get a TukTuk back again. Lunch was in the hoof with some spicy fried food from a roadside stall and some sweet palm oil cake from the market. I tried for some tea or coffee but could only get Nescafe with powdered milk combined so water had to do. After helping with some bike bagging a cool beer by the pool ended an almost perfect holiday. Good group, good leader and good backup. Shame about my crash. Goodbye Sri Lanka.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0314s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb