Little piece of paradise


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Southern Province » Hikkaduwa
February 13th 2010
Published: February 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

His…

Friday 13th.
We took the train down to Hikkaduwa, about 100km south from Colombo. The journey took about 2 and half hours and cost us 3.5 Australian dollars. The train ride itself was fine, everyone was seated, so there was no sniffing armpits, no air con but all the windows were open so was plenty of fresh air.

Arrived in Hikkaduwa where we were escorted down to the ‘happening’ area, where there are all these great guesthouses by the ocean, costing about 10-20 dollars per night. We chose one, for about 10 bucks, that was a bit dirty but had a nice little beach front bar with cheap beers that cost about 2 bucks for a long neck of local beer. Miranda got some ‘threading’ done, if don’t know what it is then look it up. We went for a quick stroll along the main beach and then back along the main road. In contrast to the capital Colombo, Hikkaduwa is inhabited by lots of westerners, lots of Europeans (especially the damn Germans!) mainly of the hippy type, and is very clean.

Right now we are at another bar down the beach from where we are staying, drinking cheap beers and writing this blog using their free internet service. Life couldn’t get much bloody better really.


Advertisement



15th February 2010

dogs in Hikkaduwa
Hi folks..,,...great to read your blog.....are there any roaming dogs or monkeys there? Sounds like fun anyway. Vicki xxx
15th February 2010

great to hear from you two. keep having fun and stay safe, waiting for the next istalment, love dad xx
3rd March 2010

hey
yeah there was plenty of both of them vicki, some of the dogs are so diseased and filthy looking. There was also plenty of filthy and diseased looking hippies and old Germans hanging round the beaches! Most of the guesthouses on the beach actually have a couple of clean dogs hanging round that they feed and look after, and these dogs keep the mangey dogs away.

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb