Our first days in KL


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Kuala Lumpur
February 12th 2010
Published: February 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hers…
Entry - Wednesday 10th February.

Camera à tick. Mosquito coils à tick. Seasoned travellers à tick…..Or so we thought!
Woke at 6am for a 1.30pm flight, butterflies and full of excitement. A nice wholesome breakfast of scrambled eggs and teary goodbyes and we were off on our journey.

Air Asia was brilliant, highly recommended. A brand new airbus with excellent service, but as we quickly discovered Asians don’t do western food à so get the Malaysian meal, it was small but yummo.

Landed in KL at 7pm and was greeted with the expected wave of heat… its been sitting in the low 30s with high humidity. We set off to our $5 a night hostel - Wheelers Guesthouse. Within 20 minutes of leaving the international airport we both agreed that we would need to loose 5 kilos each, and for now I mean in our backpacks!! You are allowed 20 kilos on the plane so at the time of packing that seemed like a good weight to have, we both came in at 18.5.… perfect? BUT with this on your back plus a few duty free necessities (a litre of vodka and some mescal for Jazza) it was all too much! Needless to say, we have started to cull.

Guesthouse is clean, friendly and would recommend to anyone on a budget. No AC in our rooms but fans seem to do the trick. Bathrooms are a little dodgerama, but with running cold water who cares. Note à Wheelers doesn’t have wifi which makes planning itineraries and sending emails a little tricky - think that is going to be on our wish list for future accommodation. But Wheelers is right in the heart of China town which is where all the action is… Petaling night market is across the road. You can pick up all knock offs including dvds, tiffanys, and of course Gucci.

3 nights in KL to get our bearings, enjoy the smells and read our travel guides to figure out next destinations. Day 1 we explored the city, public transport is simple cheap and very efficient, definitely the way to get around here. We trained it to Petronas towers, you have to book and then come back later, we booked but didn’t go back as we got caught exploring and figured we would see most of it from the ground (OR maybe it was because Ja.zza threw out the ticket thinking it was a bit of rubbish in his pocket!!) The KL city centre park is huge and really green - is the most amazing place for children with a GIANT playground, it goes 4 ever… also has a pool - sadly no adults as we started to wade in only to be disturbed by a female security guard honking her whistle at us.

We walked back to china town across the city…checking out Bukit Bintang… reminds me of New York’s times square. Lots of lights and plenty of action. Time for some reflexology, expect to pay 25 rmb ($7aud) for 30 minutes.

From here Berjaya Times square is worth a visit. It was a 7 story shopping complex and has to be one of the largest in the world, it was seriously ridiculous. Inside is an indoor theme park, Cosmos World. Its got a roller coaster that goes through one part of the shopping centre - it was crazy!

Back to Petaling market for some tucker and a cruise around the shops. Both nights we were hit with serious thunder storms and full on rain, I can see why everything is so green here. After a some noodles and dumplings (bill came too 12rmb - $6aud which is pretty dear for us as we were in the main touristy part of the street) we went back to the hostel for some bevvies.

Jarrod polished of the tequila including the worm - and the rest is history!

Thursday 11th Feb

Karen’s 30th - Happy birthday honey! Am thinking of you sis and will have a celebratory drink to night in your honour. Wish I could be there to celebrate with you and one or all of your birthdays.

Water park day here we come!

We trained it to Sunway lagoon - a about 30 minutes on a kommuter train from KL central. Was well worth the trip - about $30 entry and then most stuff is included, wet and dry. We (I) screamed our way through the roller coasters and then hooned up and down the stairs for the waterslides… there are loads of swimming pools and adventure areas for kids of all sizes! We went on a week day which was great as there were very small queues - BUT some of the attractions (surfing, jet skis) are not open, so take your pick for the lesser of 2 evils. The whole place had a very los vegas sort of feel to it, and was nothing at all like anything we have in Australia.


That pretty much zonked us out for the day, we finished up with a nice Indian curry and hit the hay.

Friday 12th

Another early start - lucky I brought that alarm clock from a street vendor.

On the KL express to the international airport for our Sri Lanka flight. Landed at 10am - wow! Something pretty different… Colombo is huge and out of control with manic traffic and people going every which way. After my time in India I should be pretty used to it by now… but you quickly forget and nothing can really prepare you for the smells and sights. We are only stopping over a night here and then heading down south to the beachy areas.
Some bad news along the way - Lost my camera! So to date, no photos… which is a shame as there were some corkers. Especially of our first night at KL… the toilet and rooms were worthy of a snap.

In short - I feel asleep on the bus and think I must have dropped it…. Was the first casualty of our trip, and hopefully the last. We have another camera on board so I guess our photos will start from here - Sri Lanka. Time to see if that insurance pays off!

Advertisement



15th February 2010

HI Fat Head!
Sounds like a wonderful adventure so far! Shame bout the camera though. Didnt know you could surf?! Keep up the good work on the blog entries! Miss u lots
18th February 2010

lonely planet eat your heart out
Hi Miranda, The trip sounds amazing already and I reckon you could get a job with lonely planet lol!!! Looking forward to catching up with your next adventures. Lots of love Mandy
21st February 2010

Insurance
Ciao Bellas Love reading your travel journeys! If you want to claim your camera on your travel insurance there is sometimes a clause in the policy that if you lose it you need a third party property report from the bus company or train company or hotel or wherever it was that you lost it. If the any items are stolen then often th wording may say you need to report it within 24 hours. You will need proof of ownership for your camera too such as original receipt or credit card statement showing the purchase. If you want me to look at your wording tell me your insurer policy details so we can make sure you toick all the boxes. We had our camera stolen in Brazil and airline refused to give us a PIR report cos we walked over a line away from the baggage pick up area. Not to mention we were forced to put our valuables in our checked luggage cos the whole of Heathrow went into pandamonium with the 33 suspected terrorist arrests! Oh note that some travel policies will only cover valuables such as cameras that are carried on your person. Its awesome that you have aback up camera. Miss you guys already and so happy that you are both so free! Long time Rio

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb