We climbed Adam's Peak (Sri Pada)

Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Sabaragamuwa Province » Adam's Peak
April 19th 2017
Published: May 31st 2017
Edit Blog Post

If you ever travel the Hill Country of Sri Lanka during the national holiday, do NOT take the train unless you have booked a seat ahead or you only go for a short ride! If you’re travelling for more than 2 hours, then take the bus! From Haputale to Hatton (Adam’s Peak), we did not expect the train to be so full, and we ended up standing 4 hours, packed like sardines, which kind of defeats the purpose of taking the train to enjoy a relaxing ride through beautiful country…

In Hatton, the bus to Dalhousie, the village at the foot of Adam’s Peak, was also jam-packed, but they organized another bus within 10minutes and we got to destination around 4pm, which gave us enough time to check in and walk around town to check out the path we would be taking at night time.

That’s right, we had decided to follow the trend (or tradition?) and start the climb at 2am in order to reach the top of Adam’s Peak (elevation 2243m) for sunrise around 6am. We had read that there were more than 5000 steps to get to the summit, and that thousands of pilgrims would be lining up the narrow staircase, so the climb might take a long time. My mom decided not to climb with us. She was afraid she would struggle up the stairs, and thought she’d slow us down. In hindsight, she could easily have come with us. The first part of the climb was pretty easy, and when it got steeper towards the top, there were so many people that we weren’t able to actually progress, and we ended up moving extremely slowly (but remember, this was during the New Year holiday, so I think it was a special time when throngs of pilgrims decided to climb the sacred peak).

My dad and I had brought sweaters and headlamps but we did not use any. The weather was cool but not cold, and the pathway is illuminated all the way. After 90 minutes of walking, we realized we would easily reach the top by 5am so we slowed down, and stopped for a cup of hot tea. We didn’t pass so many people on the way up, but people seemed to be coming down the entire time. We wondered whether they had started hiking in the evening, spent some time up there in the dark, and then decided to walk down before dawn. I also thought that many pilgrims did the walk at night in order to avoid having to spend money on accommodation (hotels in Dalhousie are slightly more expensive than any other small town in Sri Lanka).

Around 5am, we were not far at all from the summit but we got stuck in line as the path got narrower. Many people sat down on the steps to rest and people had to go around them which created a long line. In addition, people at the very top were securing a safe spot to watch the sunrise from the platform around the temple or on the flight of stairs. We were back to shoulder to shoulder just like on the morning train… it was so packed, we couldn’t move and many people gave up and turned around. My dad was about to do the same when I had the idea to get off the stairs and try to get around the back of the temple. In Sri Lanka temples are always surrounded by a nice golden fence and I thought that maybe we could climb over it from the back… So we extracted ourselves from the crowd and walked around the mob, away from the sun that was just starting to emerge behind the hills. And what a surprise when we got to the other side of the temple! There were 2 other staircases going up to the central platform we wanted to access, and they were absolutely empty (entrance from the Ratnapura south trail)! Everyone had converged at the same place at the front entrance (Dalhousie north trail) to see the sunrise.

There were lots of people at the foot of the temple - on the central platform, but we made our way through the crowd towards the railing, and got to see the sunrise. It was a magical moment we shared with people from all around Sri Lanka. A young man climbed on his friend’s shoulders to take better photos from above. I gave him my camera and he immortalized this moment for us. A few minutes later, the sun was high enough so we could see the surprising perfectly triangular shadow of Adam’s Peak onto the misty clouds down towards the west side. I think you might be amazed as well
so crowded on topso crowded on topso crowded on top

les derniers escaliers pour accéder à la plateforme
looking at the photos, since Adam’s Peak doesn’t really have the shape of a pyramid. I forgot to mention we took off our shoes to get to the platform on top, and we were afraid to get cold, but it was so crowded that we kept each other warm!

Right after sunrise, the priests beat the drums and played music to initiate a morning ceremony where pilgrims place offerings in the temple where the Buddha left a big footprint as he headed towards paradise. Catholics believe that the footprint belongs to Adam, where he first set foot on earth after being expelled from heaven. Buddhists call Adam’s Peak “Sri Pada” which means “sacred footprint.”

We managed to get down fairly fast. We often jumped the railing to go down on the left side of the stairs as fewer people were going up after sunrise. Temperatures got hot very fast and the warmer light was beautiful over the surrounding green mountains. My mom woke up around 6 and started climbing on her own so we met halfway up the hill. We enjoyed this experience very much. Yes, we had to wait a long time up the final flights of stairs, but we got to see and experience the local fervor towards this sacred place. The view over the mountains was clearly spectacular and everyone shared the same feeling of accomplishment once on top. I’m very glad I got to share this special place and experience with my dad, who seriously spent the following days proudly telling every Sri Lankan we talked to that he had made it to the top of Sri Pada!

On se doutait qu’il y aurait du monde dans le train en direction de Colombo, mais on ne pensait pas qu’on serait debout tout le long, entassés comme dans le métro de Pékin, pendant 4 heures jusqu’à Hatton (Adam’s Peak)… Si vous visitez le Sri Lanka pendant les fêtes du Nouvel An, ne prenez le train que pour de courtes distances ou alors, réservez votre ticket bien à l’ avance depuis votre pays. Maman s’est assise par terre dans l’allée, une dame a fait de la place pour que papa puisse poser une fesse sur l’accoudoir… pas l’idéal pour profiter des beaux paysages de forêts et de plantations de thé présents tout le long du chemin. Dommage. Ce sera mieux la
6am view6am view6am view

from the summit
prochaine fois ! A Hatton, le bus pour Dalhousie était également plein à craquer mais nous ne sommes pas restés inquiets bien longtemps, car au Sri Lanka, il y a des bus toutes les 10 minutes. Et en effet, quelques minutes plus tard, nous étions en route pour le village de Dalhousie d’où nous commencerions cette fameuse marche jusqu’au sommet du Pic d’Adam.

A 2243m d’altitude, le Pic d’Adam est le lieu de pèlerinage religieux le plus important et le plus populaire du Sri Lanka. C’est la montagne sacrée du pays, vénérée à la fois par les bouddhistes, les hindouistes, les musulmans et même les chrétiens. On l’appelle aussi Sri Pada. Pour les bouddhistes, Sri Pada est le dernier endroit où le Bouddha aurait séjourné sur terre avant de monter au paradis. Il aurait laissé une empreinte de son vénérable pied en souvenir de son passage au Sri Lanka. Les chrétiens pensent qu’Adam aurait atterri sur cette montagne quand il fut chassé du paradis…D’où l’empreinte de pied. Les Hindous croient que l’empreinte serait celle du pied de Shiva.

Nous avions décidé de suivre la coutume de beaucoup de pèlerins qui commencent l’ascension vers 1 heure du matin afin de gravir les 5500 marches dans la fraîcheur de la nuit et d’arriver au sommet juste pour le lever du soleil vers 6 heures. Maman a eu peur de trop souffrir et de nous retarder… elle est donc restée au lit quand le réveil a sonné à 2 heures. Nous avons mis les pulls et les lampes frontales, mais les avons vite quittés car il ne faisait pas froid et il y a un éclairage tout le long du chemin. Maman aurait pu venir avec nous en fait car la première partie du trajet est plutôt facile, avec de larges marches peu hautes, et beaucoup de stands pour boire un thé chaud et manger un petit curry épicé ! Au bout d’une heure trente de marche (vers 4h), le sommet ne semblait plus très loin. Nous nous sommes donc arrêtés pour prendre un verre de thé, et ralentir afin de ne pas poireauter en haut trop longtemps en attendant le lever de soleil. Craintes inutiles, car à mesure qu’on se rapprochait du sommet, le chemin devint de plus en plus étroit, et on finit par être en file indienne pour le dernier kilomètre de marches… Certains pèlerins marchaient tout doucement, d’autres plus âgés se reposaient sur les marches et bloquaient tout le chemin. Nous n’avancions plus. Et puis, vers 5 heures et demi, nous avions enfin le temple du sommet en vue. Sauf que les terrasses tout autour du temple ainsi que la plateforme centrale semblaient complètement bondées. Les gens semblaient serrés les uns contre les autres tout autour et bien évidemment les dernières 200 marches étaient totalement inaccessibles. Après de longues minutes d’attente, beaucoup de gens décidèrent de faire demi-tour et mon père, agacé (si, si, je vous jure !), se mit sur la voie de droite afin de redescendre.

On était si proches du but mais la foule était telle qu’il était inenvisageable de faire le forcing pour monter. J’eus soudain l’idée de contourner le temple et d’essayer d’accéder en haut par derrière. Au Sri Lanka, les temples sont souvent entourés d’une jolie barrière dorée, et je pensais secrètement qu’on pourrait essayer de l’escalader à l’abri des regards de l’autre côté de la foule. Le soleil commençait à percer, il fallait faire vite. On se faufila sur la gauche, direction le versant ouest et en effet la foule devint moindre, quand tout à coup (suspense… !) au lieu de tomber sur une barrière ou un mur d’enceinte, on tomba face à un escalier identique à l’escalier de la face Est où tout le monde se montait sur les pieds, et là, il n’y avait absolument personne ! Incroyable ! On put donc monter sur la plateforme centrale autour du temple et on trouva un petit endroit pour admirer la lumière rose-orangée du lever de soleil. Nous étions entourés de gens des 4 coins du Sri Lanka. Un jeune homme monta sur les épaules de son ami pour photographier le paysage de plus haut. Je lui donnais mon appareil et il immortalisa ce moment magique pour nous.

De l’autre côté, versant ouest, la montagne projette une ombre surréaliste sur le vaste paysage en contrebas. C’est la forme de cette ombre parfaitement triangulaire qui est surprenante alors que la montagne n’est qu’un amas rocheux imparfait. Un mystère de plus autour d’Adam’s Peak. Juste après l’aube, des musiciens annoncèrent le début des cérémonies religieuses et les pèlerins se dirigèrent vers le temple (jusque-là fermé) pour déposer des fleurs et des offrandes devant l’empreinte des pieds de Bouddha, dissimulés sous de merveilleuses étoffes brodées dans un
Sri Pada, high aboveSri Pada, high aboveSri Pada, high above

Le Pic d'Adam surplombe la foret
minuscule pavillon. Les cloches sonnaient, il était temps de redescendre. La descente fut plutôt rapide. Quelle vue une fois le soleil plus haut dans le ciel ! Adam’s Peak est un vrai spectacle pour les amoureux de la nature avec des points de vus impressionnants sur les montagnes, les forêts et les plantations de thé des alentours. On retrouva maman en chemin et on finit donc la ballade tous les trois. C’est un de nos meilleurs souvenirs du Sri Lanka. Alors oui, il y avait beaucoup de monde en cette période de vacances, juste autour de la pleine lune (évènement sacré pour les Bouddhistes) mais quelle expérience extraordinaire de vivre ce défi, cette ferveur, et de partager un tel endroit, un tel spectacle avec autant de monde ! Ces moments là n’ont pas de prix.

Additional photos below
Photos: 93, Displayed: 30


still crowded around 7amstill crowded around 7am
still crowded around 7am

getting to the top


31st May 2017
amazing view from the top

Sacred footprint
Whether it be where Buddha stepped off Earth to head into Paradise or where Adam stepped onto Earth after being expelled from Paradise (Heaven), there are now the footprints of your Dad and yourself (as well as a zillion others) at the top of this revered peak. Pretty clear you really had no difficult decision, Jeremy...you had to do it!!!

Tot: 0.614s; Tpl: 0.031s; cc: 15; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0189s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb