Haputale


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Central Province
February 7th 2014
Published: February 8th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Nuwara Elia to Haputale

We got away eventually once we sorted Joy’s pedal, which had fallen off and the threads stripped. It was supposed to be 35 miles downhill today then 7k uphill. No way. It went down but it also climbed a great deal including a 20% section and I guess they climbed 1400m. The scenery was very interesting with all the vegetable and produce farming such as potatoes, onions, rice, beans and root crops. We managed to remove my front wheel from my bike this morning to get it in the van. The problem being that the skewer was bent and the threads damaged where it hit the road meaning that it would not release the wheel from the forks. We used pliers and brute force and then called at a tyre place, where we hacksawed the end off the skewer and trimmed the thread so that it can be withdrawn from the wheel to pack it in the bag next week. This was mostly done by my apprentice the laughing van driver Eranda – great man. I called it a tyre place because it cannot be called a tyre depot or garage since it was just a scruffy unit with things thrown everywhere and tools which were blunt and battered, however we managed and it cost me 50 rupees (25p) - robbery. We later called at a scruffy cafe called a hotel for a brew while we awaited our group. I had a cup of tea and two curry pastries for 40 rupees (20p), as it would in Clitheroe. Food hygiene rating 1 and I am still in one piece as we speak. The scenery just got better and we eventually approached Haputale as a train passed through with 6 carriages on and trailing behind was a loose, flat bogey pulled by a rope with two men on board – amazing. I hope they had brakes. The Sri Lak hotel is on the hillside and has a view down the valley for at least 40 miles and if it was clear, I think to the coast. We have been asked for money by people and children these last few days up in the hills and find it difficult since we do not know what the circumstances are, nor want to set a precedent of being easy touches for all other travellers. However, some of us have given small amounts and hope it made a difference. We are up at 5 tomorrow since we are away at 6am for the long ride and safari tomorrow afternoon. No problem with alarm since the first call to prayer is at 5.30am and you cannot sleep through that.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb