Small Elephants and Big Rocks


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Central Province » Sigiriya
July 12th 2007
Published: July 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday on the drive to Kandy we stopped in Pinnawela to visit the elephant orphanage. Deb and I went there 13 years ago when it was just an open field and a coffee can asking for donations. Now they have a visitors center, sit down restaurant, tons fo souvenir shops and a stinking hotel--A Hotel!!--just to look at the baby elephants. They also have a $10 admission charge. These Sri Lankans know a commercial opportunity when they see one. We stayed for about two hours and saw a feeding and the march to the river for a bath.

Today we did a three-hour drive to the north to see the ancient city on top of Sigiriya. It's a huge rock the juts 200 meters straight out of the dirt. The ruins were quite impressive. At one time there was an elaborate series of ponds and gardens to keep the folks up top feed and watered. Alas, the upkeep on such a property got to be too expensive and the place is now a real fixer-upper. Many frescoes still survive in some caves on the way up, but sorry, no pictures allowed.

Tomorrow, a train ride further into the hills and a tour of a tea plantation.

Henry


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



19th July 2007

Good Stuff...Keep it commin'
Just got caught up with your trip after returning from Europe with Drew and my Dad. Love those family outings! You guys are are very lucky--a trip to remember for a lifetime! Get Nam to keep a journal on the critters, creepy crawleys, and beautiful flowers he is seeing for his Biology teacher--and maybe some pictures too. Stay fit and well, and keep the posts coming. Looking forward to a full report when you return.

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb