Kandy


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Central Province » Kandy
January 7th 2017
Published: January 9th 2017
Edit Blog Post

What a relaxing town. Centered around a beautiful and clean(ish) lake, Kandy is a mix of modern hussle bustle with old heritage and religious attractions. The central religious attraction is the Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic. It supposidly houses a bhudda tooth and three times a day it is revealed to devotees. We joined the throngs of people to witness this in what was fun filled hour of queing to see the relic. All you can actually see is a smallest golden urn but it is revered by all.

We visited a small graveyard close by where the English settlers were buried. The caretaker gave a small tour explaining some of the significant tombs. He was proud to inform us that Prince Charles had visited around 2004 and took special note of a 24 year old man who had fought in the battle of Waterloo. He died undertaking a bet to walk across Ceylon. Braves but foolhardy sprung to mind.

There was a great cultural performance including drumming and fire walking. All very genuine and professionally done.

We also squeezed in a visit to a tea factory and the Kandy Tea museum.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0911s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb