Onward to Kandy


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Central Province » Kandy
January 5th 2017
Published: January 8th 2017
Edit Blog Post

we had arranged for our driver Albey to take us on to Kandy with a bit of sightseeing along the way. True to form it wasn't that straight forward. His car turned up with a different driver. He had bought with him a wedding invitation that showed Albey had other plans! The replacement driver was nice, a retired school bus driver and very cautious.

Our first stop was Dambulla. We hadn't expected to find such a great place and it turned in to another highlight of the trip.

Situated up a hill behind a Bhudda built in 2000, complete with neon lights, were 5 cave temples of varying size. The detail and scale of them was impressive. They dated from 100BC and construction on them started by the same King who established Sigiriya.

Next on our itinerary was a quaint little temple built on a peninsula into lake. Surrounded by forrest it was a nice spot for a stroll and escape the heat.

Our scheduled visit to a spice garden was more like a visit from the Rawleighs man (younger folk will have to goggle this reference).

There was a small garden filled with a few spices growing which helped show what they looked like however the main part of the stop was sampling various products. The hair remover worked, the varicose vein treatment didn't and there was no way I was rubbing 'sexual stimulant' on my penis and testicles.

We finished the trip in Kandy a bit later than expected due to roadworks underway on the main road into town.

We took walk into town around the lake and found a bar for a beer and a meal. We had two days to explore this UNESCO labelled town.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb