The wonderful world of ginseng!


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea
September 9th 2006
Published: September 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We went to Guemsam on Saturday with two families for the Ginseng Festival. Guemsan sells 80% of Korea's Ginseng in its market. It was crazy, everything there was made of Ginseng: We had deepfried ginseng, I bought ginseng candy (great for sore throats), Ginseng chocolate, and my favorite, ginseng honey (I put it in my green tea). They had all sorts of home remedies made of ginseng, liquor made of ginseng, and an assortment of other things with ginseng in it. Guemsan is a smaller town, and they aren't really used to seeing foreigners there, so we cause quite a stir as we explored. The funniest part of the day was when we were exploring we were accosted by these two girls who were filming a piece on the ginseng festival. They only spoke a little english and were ridiculously dressed. They were so excited to get these foreigners on their show saying things in broken Korean. They were really funny. Then not ten minutes later, another film crew caught up with us wanting the same thing! We felt a bit like movie stars; with film crews and people staring at us and giving us things for free because they were so excited that foreigners had come to their city. It was pretty fun.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The ginseng storeThe ginseng store
The ginseng store

we bought candy, chocolate and honey here.
MusiciansMusicians
Musicians

They wave their heads around so the things attached to their hats dance.


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb