Jeju Island, South Korea Great Travel Tips & Recommendations for Visitors


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea
November 22nd 2023
Published: November 22nd 2023
Edit Blog Post

The largest island in South Korea is Jeju. It's a popular Korean honeymoon location and has even made the list of one of the world's 7 Natural Wonders. Jeju Island is a must-see if you're traveling to the eastern part of Korea.

Dramatic cliff faces, milky blue waters, unusual rock formations, and a cuisine unlike anything you'll find on the mainland await you. Plan your trip to the lovely and distant Korean island of Jeju by reading the advice provided here.

Transportation: How to reach there?

Flights from mainland Korea are quick, cheap, and frequent, departing from Seoul and Busan several times a day and cost around USD 25. I flew with Jeju Air and T'way and had no problems beyond the typical ones with delays and baggage. Nicely, Jeju Air allowed ten kilograms of checked baggage.

How you get about the island will depend on how much you can spend and how well you drive. Renting a car is the most excellent option to tour a large portion of the island quickly if you can access an international driver's license. Although I have never tried it myself (because I despise driving), this is an everyday activity for vacationers.

While Kakao Taxi is available in Jeju Island South Korea, it can get pricey if you're traveling alone. I only ever used it while I was out and about with fellow hostel-goers. If you're on a tight budget, don't worry! This island has a well-developed public bus system; albeit it can be slow because there are no freeways and some routes have to go around Hallesan. You can also use your same transit card from the mainland to pay for a bus ticket to Jeju.

Since Google Maps doesn't function well in South Korea, you should download Naver or Kakao Maps to get up-to-date bus schedules. Jeju City (and Seogwipo) both offer hop-on, hop-off tourist buses that travel to popular destinations within a 60-minute drive of each other.

What lodging options are available?

Jeju has various affordable lodging options, including hostels, motels, Airbnb, and guesthouses. My favorite was Yeha Guesthouse in Jeju City, which includes complimentary breakfast, cheap laundry, a spacious communal sitting room, and excellent beds. It also has a convenient location, close to the airport and a large bus terminal.

The local Hallabong tangerines are delicious, both on their own and when juiced. Delicious! Jeju black pig, haemultang (seafood hot pot stew), abalone, and fresh seafood platters are other famous delicacies on the island. 다소니 - 24 South Korea - Onam-ro 6-gil, Jeju-si, Jeju-do are an old-school teahouse serving delectable fare. Perilla seed soup with wheat dumplings (deulkkae sejubi) is highly recommended. We offer a menu in English. Please take note of the floor seating arrangement.

The 518-5 1 JukStory Jaejoo (Porridge) South Korea; Jeju-si (Jeju-do) particularly noteworthy is the abalone porridge (imagine savory oatmeal, but better). 성산흑돼지두루치기 - 299-5 Jeju-do, Seongsan-ri, Seongsan-eup, Seogwipo-si, To the South: fantastic seafood stir fry, the kind you make on the table and share with friends. The abalone noodle dish we ordered was out of this world.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.222s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0815s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb