Bomunsan Mountain


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Taejon
September 20th 2009
Published: September 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Bomunsan Mountain



What a breathtaking hike this was both literally and figuratively. It seemed like a good way to pass a Sunday with a couple of friends not expecting to find all the hidden treasures that we did. To start off the hike we were lucky enough to find a temple with a large variety of Buddha sculptures each with their own unique touches. You could feel the peace and serenity being in the area and it was a welcoming break from the city life where everything from eating to crossing the street is a race. After taking in all the temple had to offer we then made our way up the trail to the bottom of the mountain. As soon as you emerge into the trees you get the fresh smell of nature and the air just fills your lungs. It reminded me how much I missed being in nature. We made our way up the paved trail with various others out on a hike or a day with their family. I was brought back to the reality that I was in South Korea when a random rather large bug went buzzing by or simply stopped at my feet. It reminded how someone at Costco will randomly stop their cart right in front of you to get to the sample and you have to make that quick dodge so you don't take them out.

At the base of the mountain there is a marvellous park that is filled with historical artifacts. I learned a little about how these were from the time when they had incorporated the Chinese into their culture. At the current time they use the hungel system which has no Chinese characters. The size of some of these sculptures was incredible. I looked like a mere dot next to them. After making our way through the park stopping for numerous pictures we then started on our hike up the mountain. We took the easier way with the stairs, but it was still quite the challenge as it was a straight up climb. You get to the point when you think is this really worth it and when you make it to the top and realize that the temple you were climbing to is closed to construction you are not impressed. Walking away quite upset by this discovery we were lucky enough to find the fortress temple with the most remarkable view. As you take in the ariel view of the city you truly embrace the beauty of it all. Being that high above the city seeing all the buildings that resembled toys and the rolling mountains surrounding the city was a feeling I will keep with me forever. After taking in the view we then took a walk along the fortress wall and the thoughts started to flow. We were amazed at the craftsmanship of the wall and all the hours and sweat that would have been put into the building of the wall. As well during the wars to have to climb up mountains through dense forests would have been a task that most would not even think of accomplishing now a day. On our way out of the fortress we were lucky enough to see the area where they would have grown their food. As it was getting late and I had by that point reached my 32nd mosquito bite that swells to the size of a ping pong ball we decided to take the more advanced and quicker way down which was straight through the dense forested mountainside. It was this decision that led us to the seated Buddha. This is a remarkable carving on a massive stone wall. It was a very beautiful site. About thirty minutes later we had made it to the bottom and were on our way back to the subway station to go back home for yet another week of work.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



20th September 2009

...
The fat guy is not Buddha. It is a Chinese God of Fortune.
21st September 2009

Stadium ?
Noted in one of the pictures a rather large stadium. I'm assuming it's for sports but was wondering if baseball is played in Daejeon - ie I think it is. I recall a team from Taiwan, for example, playing in Okotoks. So pleased to hear of your experiences. Indeed, travel is a maturing process and gets you out of the mindset that the Western World (and press) is all that exists. I'll send you an exhibit that summarizes some of the Buddha philosophies (with respect to competitiveness and the pursuit of free enterprise) and how they differ from North American approaches. And they do differ - as you are starting to appreciate. Will you get an opportunity to go to the beaches? Where does South Korea ship its recycables (eg plastics, electronics)? China? Grandma and Grandpa H.

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb