Asia at last


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Seoul
September 24th 2005
Published: October 10th 2005
Edit Blog Post


Seoul, South Korea: Sept. 24

We survived the dreaded 12 hour flight to Seoul, leaving at 1 am Saturday and arriving at 5 am Sunday. Somewhere in the air we skipped a day which is somewhat disturbing how suddenly you just lose a day in your life. I don’t even like how they change an hour in daylight savings time. Not so important to someone like me but I can imagine how it would kill business types whose mantra is time is money. 24 hours would be a lot of money. On the way back, we’ll get to relive the same day twice- I don’t think you get the chance to fix your mistakes from the first time around though. We landed in Korea. It is very modern, not overly polluted and expensive. I don’t think we’d be able to afford more than a day there. We had an 11 hour stop over so spent our time seeing the oldest restored palace in Seoul which housed the royal family for centuries until Japanese colonisation at the start of WWI. Asian architecture is beautifully detailed and colourful. We had a tour that was very informative on Korean life past and present and saw the changing of the old Imperial guard. Before leaving Korea, we were determined to try local Korean food and found an authentic little workers joint where they gave us some of Korea’s most well known dishes - half of which we couldn’t recognize. While we were in Colombia some years back we only had about 3 tv channels - one which was funnily enough Korean and 90% of the time showing food shows. So enough time was spent craving this food, now after trying it all I have to say about Korean food is it is very spicy and we’ll just leave it at that. Back at the airport we buckled up for what we thought was our short flight to Singapore, only to find out we had another 6 hours to go - damn those time changes.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb