The Windy City


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco
September 16th 2005
Published: October 10th 2005
Edit Blog Post


San Francisco: Sept 16-22

We bussed it over the Bay Bridge into one of America’s most loved city, excited to be visiting somewhere that we’ve always wanted to see (the more you travel, the less this happens). We’re greeted by a sunny, windy day - the norm for San Fran- and decided to carry our bags to the hotel as its only 5 blocks away. Well that was 5 American city blocks that are far bigger than Canadian blocks but the worst part of it all is San Francisco must be the hilliest city in the world. We get to Union Square, the centre of upscale shopping in San Fran and right down the street from our hotel and I mean literally down the street. We are up on Nob Hill overlooking the city and from the square it is a never-ending trek up to our hotel. I am talking mountainous in size. 5 blocks straight up a practically 45 degree angle. I never knew they made streets like that. For those of you who don’t know, days of lightweight travelling are over for us as Zachary has more than Justin and I combined: clothes, toys, stroller, backpack carrier and a crib to top it off, so walking up Mount San Fran is not as easy as slinging our bags on our back and making the climb. Half an hour and 2 trips later we had made it, thank god that waiting for us at our hotel were our week passes for all the museums and more importantly the cable car that travels right past us. We stayed in a beautiful restored Victorian hotel with our own little suite with kitchen. It reminded me a bit of Edinburgh. We had a great time that week, visiting all the sites - museums, shops, waterfront, Pier 39. We took a boat cruise of the Bay, the best way to see Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge. Zachary loved the sea lions. We ended the week with an amazing dinner at Palio - an upscale Italian restaurant where the food was amazing and Zachary behaved even better, ending off a great week.

Photos at http://photos.yahoo.com/dizzytravel


Advertisement



Tot: 0.197s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.098s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb