day 4


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Jeju
September 25th 2010
Published: November 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Moseulpo Port

The three waterfalls and then the bus to Moseulpo to catch the ferry for Marado Island

WaterfallsWaterfallsWaterfalls

Waterfall #1
Saturday

We woke up at 11 or 12 and had to pay an extra 10,000 for leaving after 12:00. Boo. We headed to the three famous waterfalls in Jeju (Jeongbang, Cheonjaeyeon, and Cheonjiyeon), one of which is the only waterfall to reach the sea. This turned out to be a strange marketing point as the three waterfalls were connected. We bought our tickets (2,000 I think). Before going in we asked the tourist information lady about the ferry to Marado Island as well as the yacht tour. Today was apparently too late to take the ferry (she told us too windy, but we found out later we were just too late), so we went in to see the falls (nothing too spectacular, though there were a TON of spiders hanging out in their webs that we took pictures of) and then went over the Seven Nymphs Bridge to the other side.

From there we walked down to Jungmun Marine Park to see about the yacht tours we could take. We could have either taken the SpeedJet (20,000 for 20 minutes) or the yacht tour (60,000 for an hour). We chose the yacht tour at sunset (this one left at 17:50, boarding 10 minutes before).

At this point we had some time to kill because we had called and found out there were no more ferries to Marado Island (the southernmost island in South Korea) and that we would have to wait until tomorrow. We ended up taking a taxi to a place to eat black pig samgyupsal. It was very expensive and a little different. I don't think I would eat that again. She wanted us to eat the black hairs that were still on it. Yuck.

After this we walked back towards the Marine park and picked up a couple of beers before taking a taxi all the way down. We took our yacht ride and it was really nice. They give you some food (which we missed) and there is soju and wine available inside, which is sort of stupid seeing as how everyone spends the whole ride outside.

At 19:20 we hopped on a bus to Moseulpo, the village where we would have to catch the ferry to Marado. This was some sort of adventure in itself. We had to ask about a billion bus drivers for the place we wanted to go. I caused quite a backup of 3 or 4 buses when I was asking one driver. He ended up saying no, but that the bus we needed was the one behind him. We got on that bus and then showed the driver that map and he gave a strange look and said no. Then he held down the horn to pass the bus in front of him through an intersection to let him know that we actually needed that bus! So he stopped and we got off, thanked him, and hopped on the other one. We got there at 19:48 to be exact, charged our phone, went to GS where one of the girls showed us to a nearby motel (30,000). We had a brief stay in the motel where we found some crazy animal shows -- one was a family that had two huge snakes (pythons maybe? boa constrictors?) which slithered all over the place; over their food, in their baby boy's bath water. So we dropped off our bags and headed out to grab some dinner. We charged our T-money (metro) cards at the ATM and then decided to search for pizza. We had both seen a pizza delivery place coming into Moseulpo, so we thought there might be hope. We were sent down one street and then back down another until we came upon a grocery store. Here some random guy overheard us asking the woman that worked there about pizza and pointed us in the direction we had come for "Chicago Pizza". We said thank you and started walking that way when he came up behind us in his car and offered us a ride. We hopped in the back and he and his friend in the front seat debated on where the pizza place was. They called to some girls on the street from the car and they pointed us east. They debated a bit more and then we found it! It was the same place we'd seen on the bus! We got out and the guy, an engineer he tells us, was going to wait for us to take us back, but we decided to eat there. We didn't finish it all, so we took some back with us to save for the morning.

Wake up call at 8:50. Ferry at 10:00.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0193s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb