day 3


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Jeju
September 24th 2010
Published: November 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Mount Hallasan

Korea's tallest mountain

Friday

Friday was a day to hike Mt. Hallasan. Clair and Rob picked us up in Clair's car at the E-Mart that was connected to the World Cup Stadium where our jjimjilbang was. They had picked us up some kimbap too, thank goodness. We bought a sandwich and some water and hopped in the car to get on our way.

At 10:00 we started our hike with them as well as Faye and Seth, another couple we'd met in Jeju. We reached the "halfway" point (it was about 7 km up out of the whole 9 km) at five to 12 and took about 10 minutes to eat and rest a bit. You are not allowed to keep going up if you don't make it by 12:30) Ronald and I got to the top after the others at about 13:20, taking some good photos on our way up. We spent about 15 minutes up there, took some pictures, and headed back down. You have to leave the peak by 14:00, which I assume is so you aren't still walking down when the sun sets.

Ronald and I had not packed hiking shoes, so we were in pain! I had on some chacos and he had on water shoes. My knees were killing me on the way down and I got myself some nice looking blisters too. It was super rocky (volcanic rock which is black and sporous) so it was a difficult day. When we made it back down to the bottom we all celebrated with a nice cold Cass and hopped back in the car to go back to Jungmun Beach. Clair and Rob had been staying at a motel there for a few days so we wanted to try to book a room for the night.

When we got there they had one available, so we paid the 30,000, showered, and headed back out for dinner and drinks where we were joined by another couple, Grat and Leslie, that was staying in the same motel. I went straight to the pharmacy for some ibuprofen and bandaids. Then we went to a kimbap place and ate before looking for a place to hang out for the night. We found a hof (a bar where you have to order food), but somehow we didn't have to order anything which was wonderful because we were all stuffed. We got some Hallasan soju and some beer. This soju is much tastier than the regular soju. I wish they had it on the mainland, but oh well.

After the bar Clair and Rob went to bed and the four of us went to another bar. There we sat down and Ronald was slightly accosted by an older drunken woman who might or might not have worked at the bar. She apparently harassed the other guys the night before, so they were eager to leave. Leslie suggested Yahtzee in their room and I was pretty excited about that so we left immediately, bought some beer from the convenience store, and headed to their room to play. Me and Gret won! Yay! We all had a great time and I'm glad we got the chance to hang out with them.

That was pretty much it for day 3. Ronald headed to the PC bang and I headed to the room to be in a prone position (my poor body!) and passed out after a very exhausting day.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.007s; cc: 7; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0173s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb