Take an excursion!


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Gyeongsangbuk-do » Gunwi County
October 24th 2007
Published: October 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

entrance!entrance!entrance!

we can see reactors.
Yesterday, I took an excursion to Wol-song nuclear power plant with my pupils and my co-teachers. according to the guide(woman) explanation, as this plant is national security facility, "the security investigation of this plant is as strict as the Blue House(President's office)'s". after twice security investigation, we can get into.
there are four atomic reactors in this plant. the first reactor was constructed completely in the early 1980's. the second reactor done in 1997, the third in 1998,the fourth in 1999. now, four reactors are operating. another two reactors are under construction. this four reactors produce a great number of electricity. the quantity of the electricity is 2,778,000kW- about 700mega watt*4-. It's so big big scale. to cool these reactors, heavy water is used. the type of this reactor is PHWR-pressed heavy water reactor-. to cool these reactors, much water needed. so this plant is located in seashore(East sea).
It is interesting that heavy water is extracted from light water(fresh water). 1 litter of heavy water is extract from 7,000 litters of light water. the cost of 1 litter of heavy water is 150,000won(about 150 US dollars per litter). It is very expensive. all of this water is imported from Canada. Korean scientists have no ability to extract a heavy water from a light water?
The fuel of reactor is a natural Uranium(U-235). sixteen fuel rods are changed everyday and all of this procedure is investigated by I.A.E.A. agent.
and to testify if the used and re-purified water from reactors do harm or not, they farming hatchery fish in th plant. It is very extraordinary.
after this excursion, we stopped by Shilla King Mun-moo's tomb in the sea and buddhism temple site for him. he unified three-dynasty(Shilla, Koma, Kudara dynasty) about 1700years ago. this temple is disappeared, two buddhism pagodas just have been left at this site. and we stopped by Gampo(harbor). we watched fishery, barrier and light house.
I visited a nuclear power plant for the first time, to my regret, as this plant is national security facility, the control center is not open to us. we just watch simulation control center for agent training. and some of military equipments are stationed to protect reactors from air raid attacks and terrors. I can see the heavy machine gun near reactors.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

farming hatchery fish in the plantfarming hatchery fish in the plant
farming hatchery fish in the plant

to testify if the used and re-purified water from reactors do harm or not.
Shilla King Mun-moo's tombShilla King Mun-moo's tomb
Shilla King Mun-moo's tomb

Shilla King Mun-moo's tomb in the sea.
buddhism pagodabuddhism pagoda
buddhism pagoda

this pagoda constructed for king Mun-moo.
Gampo(harbor)Gampo(harbor)
Gampo(harbor)

the ship for fishing cuttlefish
barrier and light housebarrier and light house
barrier and light house

the lighthouse on the barrier.
on the barrieron the barrier
on the barrier

My pupils are running on the barrier.


Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.049s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0676s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb