DMZ


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » DMZ
November 11th 2006
Published: December 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Ciaran With North Korea In BackgroundCiaran With North Korea In BackgroundCiaran With North Korea In Background

Can You Spot The North Korean Soldier
We were up at the ridiculous hour of 5.30am (The price of doing an official army tour) and headed to the USO office in central Seoul. From there we had a two hour bus journey with a Korean guide trying to be funny and unfortunately failing fairly miserably.

Once we arrived we got a presentation from a US soldier and then met our guide. He was a hilarious soldier from Florida who took the seriousness of the location in his stride. Our first stop was at the front line where soldiers from South Korea stand and face their North Korean counterparts with about 20 metres between them. Very surreal place to be. From there we visited the meeting room where negotiation between the two sides takes place. It has a door on one side into the South and on the other into the North. After some snaps with some Korean soldiers we were back on the bus.

We passed the "Bridge of No Return" which nobody has crossed since the end of of the war and visited a couple of watchtowers with views across North Korea. We saw the insanely large North Korean flag erected after the South Koreans erected a bigger flag than the North Koreans had at the time ( So large it's taken down when it rains). We also saw propaganda village which we were told nobody lives in but is maintained to show South Koreans the "prosperity" of the North.

After some lunch we visited the third incursion tunnel the North Koreans had been digging to infilitrate the South. Apparently they would have been able to move 10,000 troops an hour through it although we smacked our heads every few paces. After that we visited a museum on the DMZ and caught a bus in nightmarish Seoul traffic back to Seoul


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

North KoreaNorth Korea
North Korea

Doesn't Look Too Bad Really


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb