Gyeongju


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Gyeongsangbuk-do » Gyeongju
November 15th 2006
Published: December 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

After a few complications on the Seoul subway system, we eventually found our way to the train station and grabbed a KTX train to Gyeongju. On arrival we found ourselves a cheap motel, tired from a day of travelling we had a bite to eat and headed to bed.

The next day we visited Gyeongju National Park (or Tumulus Park). The park is made up of large mounds of earths which are graves of ancient kings and other royalties. The park was packed with school kids on tours. We soon realised that we were a far bigger attraction for them than the graves, we quickly found ourselves surrounded by screaming 8 year olds all trying to shake our hands and practice their English. After numerous photos, we made our escape to Banwolseong. Gyeongju was once the capital of Korea and Banwolseong was the site of Silla Monarch's palace. Afterwards we headed to Gyeongju National Mueseum to brush up on our Korean history.

We headed home tired from a long day of sightseeing.

The next morning we took up where we left off and visited Cheomseongdae an ancient astronicmical observeatory. We then walked through part of Gyerim forest, which is the site of another palace, on our way to Anapji pond, which is an artificial pond constructed by one of the Korean kings and it is part of the National Park. We then headed home for another early night.

Next Stop Busan...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0965s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb