Monday in Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
January 23rd 2017
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 1.28941, 103.85

MONDAY, JANUARY 23

Back to finish our day on Sunday, Glenn and I had "reserved" a board room for the Sunday service at 7pm in the London and Paris room. We were sad that we couldn't advertise it in the Free Style Daily. We have talked with the cruise director and he seemed to think we might be able to this next week.

We had 3 folks show up. Julian and Leslie, the lawyer from Alabama and Norma. Julian was a talker. I told Glenn, "next week, we can't let Julian take over the show." Just think Sid Morrison, and you know what I mean.

There was a 9:30pm movie in the Stardust Theater. I started watching it, but could only last for 10 minutes and came on up to bed. Glenn was out until the end of the movie. It was a movie about Indonesia with Mel Gibson, 30 years ago.

On Monday morning, around 7am, I suggested to Glenn that we take the computer off board and enter into the Cruise Terminal and do some internet with the free wifi. It was raining cats and dogs. And you couldn't see in front of you but 5 feet.

I signed into the internet
and and then to my travelpod. I would "copy/paste" my daily diary to the respective date. And then I would upload my photos. I still needed to post the many pictures I took in Vietnam. It took longer than I had planned on. Glenn was patient with me. As the minutes ticked on, more people were getting off the ship and getting on wifi- which meant my internet service was getting slower and slower. I finally finished up at 8:30am. And we had to go back through customs and immigration to get back on the ship.

We ate breakfast in the Versailles Restaurant. I had their pancakes and oatmeal. Each time I order, I try to 'switch things up', like instead of strawberries on the pancakes (as listed on the menu), I asked for blueberries. Then I know my meal is NOT coming off the conveyer belt, and they had to make it special for me. As we were there eating breakfast, Glenn got a "preview" of an email that had come in from N (I can't use their name because they work in a sensitive area of the world.

After breakfast, we walked back off the ship and we connected up to Wifi so Glenn could read the whole email from these WBT folks. They mentioned that they would meet us at the ship port at 11:00am. Glenn decided to "skype" them on the phone numbers they suggested. Glenn got a hold of N and found out that they do not own a vehicle and were traveling by metro. We suggested that we meet them at Suntec City Mall. Glenn described that he was wearing Dallas Cowboys t-shirt. They were running late, but met us there at 11:30, as we took the Hop on Hop off bus to Suntec.

N and his wife were very friendly. They were born in Singapore and were very informative about the culture and history of Singapore. We walked down through the tunnels to another tunnel. And found a nice cafe place. N bought us some coke, coffee and Singaporean brunch item. It was compressed coconut with some spices on top. It looked very much an egg white. We sat there for the longest time talking about our Moody connection, Ken Hannah, WBT, and other m adventures. We talked about our families, churches and how the Lord has lead us in our ministries.

When the lunch crowd appeared on the scene, we got up and walked through a maze of tunnels. Quite unique, these tall high rises and building complexes have tunnels that connect with each other. The signage was easy to read. We walked to the Esplanade Theatre on the Bay, which is connected with tunnels from the Suntec City Mall. All through the tunnels are shopping stores, coffee shops. I noticed a Burger King and Starbucks. There was one ice-cream gelato place that was "to die for". Since it was raining, They stayed inside the mall, and we walked outside with their yellow umbrella to view and take pictures of The Marina Bay Sands Hotel (3 buildings angled and a casino, mall, infinity pool on top). Also, the Merlion park - with the statue of a 'mermaid' and 'lion' that is spraying water. Also we took pictures of the Singapore Flyer (Ferris wheel) and the Art Science Museum which looks like a lotus flower. Although it was raining, I think I got some good photos.

About 2pm, we got on the 'shuttle' to take us back to the Marina Bay Cruise Terminal. I tried to get connected on the internet at the Terminal again and was unsuccessful. However, as Glenn was changing our money from Singapore Dollars to Indonesian money, I started talking with a couple from Tasmania. Gary and Glenda are their names. Very friendly. Found out that they are getting off on the boat when we dock in Sydney. I asked if they would be our excursion when we dock in Tasmania. I gave them my card. I hope I can recognize them again before the cruise is over with.

We sailed away at 6pm. Glenn and I were up on top. Got some great pictures of the skyline as we turned around and sailed out through the Singapore channel and out on to the South China Sea. As we were waiting to hear when we would be leaving, I started talking to Courtney. I asked "are you on staff?" She was young, white and in your 20's. Those are usually the folks that are on the show dancers, etc. She said "No, I'm on the cruise!" She said that her roommate from college was on this cruise with her sister and parents, however the sister had to cancel at the last moment and she was invited. She didn't know she was coming to the South Pacific until after Christmas. How cool is that? She's a college graduate, from San Diego and will be starting law school in a few months. She had never been to this part of the world, nor had traveled outside of the US. I can't imagine.

Glenn and I ate dinner at the Versailles. We had a waitress that was training a new personnel. Poor guy, he was sweating bullets and making mistakes right and left. These are the things we observed.

We went to the 9:30pm showing where the man and the women were musicians and its called "Quick Change". On stage, they dance around like a magician act, then the guy hold us a curtain and in 2 seconds no more than 3 seconds the beautiful dancer has changed from a red outfit into a white outfit. Occasionally the guy would step behind a box and in a matter of 3 seconds he's gone from a black suit to a red outfit. It was a pretty good show. This was the 9:30pm showing since we didn't get to the early showing because of the sail-away. But it was worth it. I was kinda tired. Not as tired as when we were on our anniversary. There I fell asleep a couple of times.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0529s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb