Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
December 8th 2013
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 1.28941, 103.85

Well, the adventure has begun.

After a lovely family dinner and exchange of Christmas gifts with Amanda and Nigel and the twins, and Mum and Dad, we were dropped off to the airport. Singapore Air were nothing but polite - they woke us (with just a little shake) to feed us at 1am, one hour after take off, but then politely left us alone when Matthew threw up fairly constantly for the next 7 hours. I felt guilty - Matt had changed his mind and wanted to sit with Daddy and Tom, leaving Georgia and I with 4 seats for the 2 of us ( the only 2 spare seats on the plane!). We stretched out, but the nice hostesses kept checking if we were awake etc....a rough night for all!

We weren't really expecting that it would be 5.20am when we arrived (25min early), pitch black and feeling like a sauna! Not surprisingly, at 6am, our hotel room was some 7 hours from being ready to checkin, and there were no restaurants etc open for breakfast.

We headed off on foot to acclimatise, walking a couple of kilometers up to Orchard Road. Lots of shops (still closed at 7.30am on Sunday!) and we ended up having breakfast in a Swiss cafe. Yum - love Apple and cinnamon scrolls!

Then onto the tube system, the MRT to Little India. So glad we went - a fascinating cultural area of Singapore! Georgia didn't like the smell of incense, Tom wasn't that excited - but Matt, with his emptied out tummy was desperate to try every ritual, curry and samosa stall....we held him back. Steven held me back in the markets - only one pashmina today! And we visited a temple, with the locals, dedicated to the goddess Kalli - realised how " foreign" one could feel!!

Back on the MRT to Marina Bay...another 2km walk in the heat... The architecture around the Bay is incredible to see, but by this stage we were all flagging. We jumped in a maxi-taxi back to our hotel ( Fraser Place Robertson Walk), found an Italian restaurant doing a $SGD8 lunch pasta special (have to laugh that our first 2 meals in this Oriental city have been Swiss and Italian), then with full tummies, headed to our lovely apartment. It's just what we needed - 2 lovely bedrooms, with a trundle bed in our room, nice separate lounge/dining and full kitchen and laundry

Now, when everyone wakes up, we are meeting Liesl Tzolis (a friend from uni and London days who lives here now) for dinner...and anticipating a good night's sleep!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



8th December 2013

Don't worry about that heat - it will all change when you get to Europe!
10th December 2013

Lovely photos K.Would you mind adding my email to the blog. Mark is not good at forwarding things on...
10th December 2013

Will do, Tracey!

Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.1055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb