Jumping on and jumping off in Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
December 9th 2013
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 1.28941, 103.85

We had a lovely night last night with Liesl. She's been living in Singapore for 2 years, after Istanbul, Hong Kong and Tokyo. We met at the cheese and wine bar downstairs, although Liesl actually meant for us to be at the pizza restaurant downstairs, which meant a relocation - perfect, as not sure the kids wanted raclette for dinner in Asian when we will be in Switzerland next week!! A lovely night, which ended with some expat blokes starting a flash-mob rendition of The Twelve Days of Christmas in the restaurant!

And we didn't see anything of the riots in Little India that have made the news today...

Today, after a wonderful night's sleep, we went to the hotel breakfast (convinced Matt he could NOT have curry and rice, but succumbed to his desire for curry puffs when the rest of us had danishes!) and a walk around the complex (lovely pool and surrounds) before walking to Clarke Quay to join a jump on-jump off bus tour of the city.

First stop was the Botanical Gardens, which we hesitated about whether to do. It was wonderful, and we really enjoyed the National Orchid Garden - the boys liked the carnivorous plants and we all liked the air conditioned cool room! Back on the bus to Raffles, where Georgia thinks she could live happily, and to the Merlion Park. Matt (correctly) insisted we go to the Mer-lion (half lion, half fish, and the symbol of Singapore), describing it as important to Singapore as the Eiffel Tower to Paris. A walk through the glamorous Fullerton Bay Hotel and a lovely cold popsicle and back onto the bus to Chinatown.

At Chinatown, we visited the hawkers market at Maxwell St for lunch - the kids were very good, and each selected some variation of rice, noodles, duck, chicken or pork for lunch. But by then, the heat was slowing them down, so back to the cool of our apartment for a sleep whilst Steven had a business meeting...and the rains started again, anyway!!

After we all had a 2 hour kip, and Steven returned, we cooled off and woke up with a swim in the lovely pool area, and jumped in a taxi to Arab Street, with its large mosque, carpet sellers and fabric shops. It certainly reminded Steven and I of our backpacking in Turkey. A good look around, then dinner at a Turkish restaurant with wonderful often, kebabs and lamb chops! And for me, the best was the apple tea...just as sweet and good as I remembered!

Then to the Marina Bay Sands complex for the sound and light show - very enjoyable, and Tom said that if he lived in Singapore, he would go every night! It was good, but not quite the same as Disneyland...how spoilt am I?

Tom's birthday in the morning...big boy turning 11!


Additional photos below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



10th December 2013

Glad to see you are all having fun. See Matthew, it's not so bad...
10th December 2013

So Steven can take a good photo...or was that Georgia?
10th December 2013

Clever Georgia!!

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb