.


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
August 17th 2016
Published: June 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 1.3, 103.85

One of the best buffet breakfasts I've ever seen was on display in the restaurant this morning all tastes were catered for from English, Eastern, Indian, Chinese and everything in between, along with every type of fruit. The only complaint was some of the guests had never been taught manners and barged their way through to the front pushing kids aside even Jacob and Sophie said how rude they were, after everyone bar myself were sated we set off to get the Metro to the Harbour Front. Having arrived there Michelle decide the shortest walk across to Sentosa was by cable car despite her fear of heights, once again Jake sat with her and talked to her all the way across, what a star.

The first thing the kids saw on the island was the Sentosa Merlion which is a gigantic 37 metre-tall replica of the Merlion which a is mythical creature with a lion's head and the body of a fish; it's widely accepted as being the mascot of Singapore. Linda took the kids up inside the Merlion form where you get brilliant views of the harbour and the island, on the way back down you can stop to peek out of the Merlions mouth it's always popular with kids and adults alike. On entering they kids were given a ticket which they had to insert in a Merlion figure and out came a gold embossed coin, they loved that. When they were all looking out of the figures mouth I just managed to get a glimpse of them and get a quick photo.

As we wandered about we went to the S.E.A. Aquarium which wasn't very good at all, although some of the other exhibits were interesting, there was full a scale mock-up of the bow of a junk with a small auditorium in front from which an interesting show was projected. Michelle got herself a henna tattoo and later on found a selfie stick. The kids wanted to go to the Waterfront Underwater World but with prices starting from £124 pound it was a none starter; it may be alright if you're going to spend all day there but we had other things to do and see.

The kids had great fun running in and out of the dancing water jets being propelled up from underneath the floor and with temperatures hovering around 30°C most of the day there soon refreshed. As we had already had a McDonald's in Hong Kong and in Australia the kids wanted one in Singapore so off we trotted for a local treat!

Linda and I went off in search of tickets for the Wings of Time show whilst Michelle took Jake & Sophie to the beach, when we finally got back to them we discovered they weren't allowed in the water as there had been an oil leak and on top of that there were stingers in the water.

We had just managed to get to our seats for the Wings of Time show when I had to make a dash for the exit and the nearest conveniences, fortunately as I'd been using them frequently I knew just where they were. The show (this was our third variation award winning outdoor night show set against the majestic open sea, a multi-sensory presentation of water display, laser show, and fire effects and spectacular music.). As we sat waiting for the show to start Michelle was forever looking around what's up? I said and she pointed to the ominous sky behind us, she knew only too well on a previous viewing of the show the sky went dark and we were hit by a tropical deluge. There was nowhere to run or shelter not that it would have made any difference as within less than a minute ourselves along with hundreds of others were soaked through to the skin. As we both kept monitoring the darkening clouds and now distant rumbling of thunder as hard as I tried to convince her it was moving away she wasn't having it, but it did fortunately move out to sea so the show wasn't spoilt.

Sophie was memorised by the whole show and sat there opened mouth through the whole show she loved it. Linda thought it was the best show yet but I thought it too similar to the previous show "Songs of the Sea" and a little too short.

The journey back to the hotel is just a short hop on the metro normally but after the first station we stopped in the tunnel. After a couple of minutes there was an announcement that there was a fault further up the line delaying all trains. Now I've got a problem as I need to use the toilet again as time went by I'm really getting worried when to my great relief we set off only to stop again for another 5 mins, I'm now getting desperate as it is I'm strap hanging and trying mentally to sort out options but there aren't any; to my relief we set off again just as we started to emerge from the tunnel into our station we stopped again still inside the tunnel! I could have cried, I'm at the point when the inevitable is about to happen, finally we set off and the doors opened without a look back to the others I was out and running for the hotel which was less than a 100m from the station, made it to our room and I couldn't explain the total relief I felt and still as I write this I don't know how I managed to hang on.

After everything had settled down we decided we'd all go down to the bar for a last drink together but discovered that children weren't allowed in any of the hotel bars, so I had the kids while Linda & Michelle went for cocktails Singapore Slings For Linda and Toblerone Cocktails for Michelle, she's now hooked on them!


Additional photos below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb