Day 59


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
July 16th 2015
Published: July 17th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Woke Michelle at 9.30 after 15 hours sleeping in order to make breakfast cut off time.

First up today we get the hop on tour bus, as it is complimentary from the hotel.

It takes us around Singapore, along the harbour, up to china town, around to the botanical gardens and down the famous Orchard st renowned for Singapore shopping.

As the bus pick up point is at the Singapore flyer observation wheel and we see its half empty, we jump straight on that.

The wheel is the biggest in the world and beats the London eye by a few hundred metres in height.

Aside from the great view of the city and harbour, looking out beyond that there are hundreds of commercial boats waiting to be docked.

The Singapore city limits goes for miles beyond your vision as well placed high rise apartments of all shapes and sizes dot the horizon.

Marina Bay Sands building, the flower domes and the tree gardens also use up some photo time.

Next plan for the day was to explore some of the districts that make Singapore a diverse melting pot of many cultures.

There is Little India, China town and the Arab district all highlighted on the map in different colours.

We head on foot to the Arab district with some confusion on what to expect as we get mixed opions on when the celebrations for the last day of Ramadon will start, which we believe is today.

Also tomorrow is the national holiday for the Malay people and no one seems too sure on that one either.

Arriving at the Arab district we find a few blocks of older shops and houses, with the area conserved from the past.

The vendors there have most things from their homeland with many silks, rugs and textiles.

If you needed a hijab of Arab wear, this was the place to come.

The town centre had an old mosque which would be a popular place to pray for the locals.

Around 5.30 and most of the shops are closing as their Ramandon celebrations will commence at sundown, feasting with their families.

We grab a taxi and head across town to the Chinese night markets for a look around and some Asian street food.

The night markets are full of the usual tourist shops along with many tailors offering to measure and make you some clothes.

The food choices were abundant and we enjoyed a couple of different dishes from the stalls.

Heading home we get the taxi to drop us at the harbour for a few night pics of the city.

Walking back we find more street food areas and free bands playing along the foreshore.

Squeezing the most from our day, we make it back just on midnight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb